Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
Before dinner update. Black boot.efi

To everyone interested in this project:

[P]eople must be aware that [this and other] interim future versions are NOT intended as a replacement for the official repository versions. Until further notice, those of you who want to use Pike's boot.efi ought to go to http://piker-alpha.github.io/macosxbootloader/ and download either the "black" version or the "grey" one, according to your particular preference (the change is purely cosmetic; otherwise, they are exactly the same; the choice is irrelevant as far as the operating system is concerned). Pike alone will decide when such repository versions will be updated with a newer version.

Please, notice that the [enclosed and other] upcoming experimental versions might contain bugs that could cripple your ability to boot your old Mac. So, unless you are absolutely certain of what you are doing and know how to reverse such undesirable situations, KEEP AWAY FROM THEM. In general terms, [these] versions ARE NOT FOR YOU!

Attachments

• boot dfb77eea7273916ef691b3892338fec568f07fe8.zip
    207.4 KB · Views: 396

mikeboss

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 13, 2009
switzerland
dfb77eea7273916ef691b3892338fec568f07fe8 not going past debug output.

IMG_2273.PNG

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
Typo. Black boot.efi

[P]eople must be aware that [this and other] interim future versions are NOT intended as a replacement for the official repository versions. Until further notice, those of you who want to use Pike's boot.efi ought to go to http://piker-alpha.github.io/macosxbootloader/ and download either the "black" version or the "grey" one, according to your particular preference (the change is purely cosmetic; otherwise, they are exactly the same; the choice is irrelevant as far as the operating system is concerned). Pike alone will decide when such repository versions will be updated with a newer version.

Please, notice that the [enclosed and other] upcoming experimental versions might contain bugs that could cripple your ability to boot your old Mac. So, unless you are absolutely certain of what you are doing and know how to reverse such undesirable situations, KEEP AWAY FROM THEM. In general terms, [these] versions ARE NOT FOR YOU!

Attachments

• boot fdb07bddbb8f7e98d463cb4c35f96367dd2bd377.zip
    207.4 KB · Views: 407

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
Commit 9722e683 "typo" compiled; boot into createinstallmedia successful, but 'Install OS X' --> "OS X El Capitan is already installed", &c.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 183

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
Commit 9722e683 "typo" compiled; boot into createinstallmedia successful, but 'Install OS X' --> "OS X El Capitan is already installed", &c.

Added same boot.efi to the respective places to the legacy ElCap install media (jabbawok, hennessie, et al.), and I am sitting here "Waiting for DSMOS...".

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 176

Pike R. Alpha

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2015
Spain
Thanks. Looking good. Now the question is... what's the output of:

ioreg -p IODeviceTree -d 2 -k board-id | grep board-id

Edit: Copy/paste the output of the next line into a hex editor and look for "Mac-F42C88C8"

ioreg -lw0p IODeviceTree | grep -e 'SMBIOS" ' | awk '{print $5}' | sed 's/[<>]//g'

Last edited:

randyoo

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2010

Edit: Copy/paste the output of the next line into a hex editor and look for "Mac-F42C88C8"

ioreg -lw0p IODeviceTree | grep -e 'SMBIOS" ' | awk '{print $5}' | sed 's/[<>]//g'

I'm about to try. Will let you know in about 5 mins. :)

edit: sorry, but my USB stick seems to be corrupt, and I don't have time right now to deal with it. Hopefully someone else will show up soon to give you the output of the ioreg command...

Last edited:

randyoo

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2010

Okay, rebuilt the USB installer, tried your second command, got no output whatsoever.

Attachments

• IMG_4613.JPG
    IMG_4613.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 203

Pike R. Alpha

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2015
Spain
Okay, rebuilt the USB installer, tried your second command, got no output whatsoever.
Thanks. I noticed: "Apple002,1" in two places, and that means that something is still broken. I plan to comment out a line (or two) in a next commit. That should help me figure out what is going on.

Edit: New commit available for compilation. Please test gain. Thanks!

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
Don't replace board-id (testing something). Black boot.efi

Attachments

• boot 71030aa1989d4d5b06e04d278df11769d53282a3.zip
    207.4 KB · Views: 344

Pike R. Alpha

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2015
Spain
The latest test version does not replace the board-id so it should be fine. if not, then the memcpy() is not working, or the Entry Point Structure is wrong.

Note: Tiamo used "SMBIOS_TABLE_STRUCTURE" but it's not the SMBIOS table structure, but the Entry Point Structure (EPS) and that keeps confusing me. Therefore I intend to fix/rename it.

Done!

Last edited:

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
Commit 71030aa1 compiled, added x3 to createinstallmedia...

Boots to working Environment

Install OS X --> "OS X El Capitan is already...', &c.

I get no return from shell via either ioreg query.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 147

Pike R. Alpha

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2015
Spain
Commit 71030aa1 compiled, added x3 to createinstallmedia...

Boots to working Environment

Install OS X --> "OS X El Capitan is already...', &c.

I get no return from shell via either ioreg query.
Ok, but are the 'compatible' and 'model' properties ok now or still "Apple002,1"? The 'board-id' property should also be ok, because we're not replacing it. That is, if the memcpy() calls are fine, and we point to the correct memory location.

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
Let's call it what it is.

Attachments

• boot 7abf03373daaa3ed203c2a79eb2125838c158e43.zip
    205.4 KB · Views: 373

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
I have to leave now. Will be back tomorrow morning (European Central Time). If there are any new commits, maybe Splifingate can compile them?

busitech

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2014
I have Microsoft compilers, which version is Peter using?

EDIT: Never mind, I see the instructions on GitHub. In lieu of Peter compiling, I'd be happy to do it.

Last edited:

Pike R. Alpha

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2015
Spain
I have Microsoft compilers, which version is Peter using?

EDIT: Never mind, I see the instructions on GitHub. In lieu of Peter compiling, I'd be happy to do it.
Hi,

Thank you. Development would have stalled without your help. Back later (dinner time in Spain).

busitech

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2014
Huh? Totally unexpected result. Please go back to post #130 or upwards and test that version for me.

I just tested the e235... commit on post 130 with a fresh createinstallmedia partition. The GUI comes up and allows me to choose to install El Capitan. It thinks for a minute or two, and responds "OS X El Capitan is already installed on this Mac."

I have four hard disks in this real unsupported Mac Pro, with a mixture of OS X releases, one being a fresh install of El Capitan created by a supported machine that I used for testing that method. Attached is the Installer Log from this test.

Attachments

• Installer Log 10-Oct-2015.txt
    239.6 KB · Views: 1,379

Pike R. Alpha

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2015
Spain
I just tested the e235... commit on post 130 with a fresh createinstallmedia partition. The GUI comes up and allows me to choose to install El Capitan. It thinks for a minute or two, and responds "OS X El Capitan is already installed on this Mac."

I have four hard disks in this real unsupported Mac Pro, with a mixture of OS X releases, one being a fresh install of El Capitan created by a supported machine that I used for testing that method. Attached is the Installer Log from this test.
Thanks. The compatible and model properties are set correctly? See post #217.

Edit: New commit available for compilation. This test version will display the Entry Point Structure data. Will not copy/replace the SMBIOS table. Also check the board-id, compatible and model properties.

Last edited:

busitech

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2014
Thanks. The compatible and model properties are set correctly? See post #217.

Edit: New commit available for compilation. This test version will display the Entry Point Structure data. Will not copy/replace the SMBIOS table.

Compiled!

Attachments

• 53e40265b4.zip
    225.9 KB · Views: 346

busitech

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2014
This was the ioreg output from the e235 commit. Going to test 53e4... now.

|
+-o MacPro2,1 <class IOPlatformExpertDevice, id 0x100000112, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (194683 ms), retain 29>
| {
| "compatible" = <"MacPro2,1">
| "version" = <"1.0">
| "board-id" = <"Mac-F4208DA9">
| "IOInterruptSpecifiers" = (<0900000005000000>)
| "IOPolledInterface" = "SMCPolledInterface is not serializable"
| "IOInterruptControllers" = ("io-apic-0")
| "clock-frequency" = <00b5644f>
| "manufacturer" = <"Apple Computer, Inc.">
| "IOConsoleSecurityInterest" = "IOCommand is not serializable"
| "system-type" = <03>
| "product-name" = <"MacPro2,1">
| "model" = <"MacPro2,1">
| "name" = <"/">
| "IOBusyInterest" = "IOCommand is not serializable"
| }
|

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.