Boot external usb disk of DOS Program

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cyeek, Aug 2, 2007.

1. cyeek macrumors newbie

Hi,

May i know how to boot MS-DOS program from external USB Disk before load to OS?

Currently, i've install Boot Camp to load two OS, one is Mac OS and another OS is Windows XP. In this way, i can open my MS-DOS program when i load to Windows XP, but, i need to know is there any way to boot MS-DOS before load to OS?

Thanks and have a nice day

Best Regards,
    Cyeek

2. thegrifman macrumors regular

I'm kind of a mac newb myself but I would guess the answer to your question is no since macs don't have BIOS and I don't think boot camp supports DOS.

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Mac's can emulate BIOS. DOS requires a BIOS. Theoretically, it's possible. Realistically, why do you want to run a 26 year old OS who's development was halted 7 years ago? Wouldn't XP with compatibility mode be better?

EDIT: Oh, nevermind.. you're talking about booting off of a USB drive.. Dunno if that's doable at all. I think it needs to be formatted a certain way, but if you hack around enough, I don't see why not. If people can boot XP via an external (albiet with a LOT of issues) I don't see why DOS would be any different...

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

First, you boot the OS; you launch applications. Second, you do not need MS-DOS to run MS-DOS applications. However, it is not at all clear what you want to do. Every version of Windows includes a DOS command prompt utility which allows you to run MS-DOS apps. If running a DOS app is what you want to do, then yes, you can run MS-DOS apps from attached USB drives.

5. cyeek thread starter macrumors newbie

Re:Boot external usb disk of DOS Program before entering OS

Hi,

Actually i have a testing program which is running in DOS environment and it is used to test RAM. Currently, i need to do research whether it can be implemented in Macbook or not.

At first, i tried to install Boot Camp and after that install Windows XP. So, when i login Windows XP and run this testing program, it can be run. But the problems is i need to run this testing program before load to OS to test the RAM thoroughly.

I would like to run the testing program from external USB disk at startup before OS is loaded. When i press and hold Option button, there have two OS selection at screen, one is Mac OS and another one is Windows XP, i can't see USB Disk at startup. I am curious whether there has any way to load the testing program from external USB disk and run it properly before OS is loaded?

Thanks for helping

Have a nice day

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Well, one problem is that MS-DOS (and Windows AFAIK) cannot be booted from a USB drive on any DOS or Windows machine, so I cannot see how it could boot into DOS from USB prior to loading any other OS on the Mac, either.

I think you need to explore virtualization, here.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You are wasting your time. The only reason to run MS-DOS RAM-testing utility is to test the RAM on a MS-DOS computer. The MS-DOS memory map has little relevance for today's Windows-based computers and none at all for MacOS, MacOS X, other Unix ports, and Linux.

Drop this idea. If you want to develop a RAM-testing utility, learn how to develop apps specifically for the versions of Windows released this century and/or for the Macintosh.