Boot FileVault without EFI

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MoerBoer, Jun 8, 2018.

1. MoerBoer macrumors member

I'm playing around with some old cards I have to test Metal for the upcoming Mojave release.

My old GT 710 actually shows Metal compatibility which is great, but I need to run both my HD 5870 and the GT 710 to be able to boot.

My M.2 drive ( boot drive ) is encrypted with FileVault and thus on boot it pops up with the password question.

When I only put in the GT 710, the boot chime goes , then it waits for a couple of seconds and chimes again ( thus another reboot ). I wait a considerable time, and then try typing in the normal password via an USB keyboard, but nothing happens.

Is there anyway around this, or am I always going to be stuck with having to run the HD 5870?

I have a 5.1 Mac Pro

2. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

Not really a good way round this right now, Filevault2 is an EFI environment so you need an EFI rom for your GFX card. If we can get GOP( Graphics Output Protocol ) working on Classic Mac Pro's then it would work if you card has a GOP rom.

Apple used the older UGA( Universal Graphics Adapter ) on cMP. Some work is being done with NextLoader to support GOP, if we can find a solution that works we should be able to add the GOP driver to the cMP's firmware.

3. bsbeamer macrumors 68000

Given the security intentions of FileVault, why would you want to hack with unverified code to enable it? I get the rational trying to enable it, but seems using a legit EFI card is the more secure solution.