Boot from another HD

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Washac, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

Hi All

I did a clean install of the software that came with my Mac Pro and then held Alt key and chose to boot from that drive.

My brightness slider in Prefs/Displays being not available was still there.

Now forgive me if I am wring here but when you turn on the machine and press Alt to choose the boot drive is the machine
    still not taking information from the main drive or firmware before the drive option appears ?

2. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

The boot process until the spinning wheel comes up is entirely done in firmware. Only the symbols for hard disk and DVDs that you see are activated by interaction with the drives. The firmware interrogates all bootable drives and shows you symbols for them. When you select a drive the actual boot sequence starts which uses software from the selected boot drive.

3. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

So in that case then the Brightness slider problem maybe well be a firmware issue ?

4. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

Actually I don't understand what you mean by brightness slider.

5. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

Prefs/Displays - there should be a brightness control slider.

6. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

Your OS X needs to be fully booted up for that brightness slider to display. That has nothing to do with firmware.

7. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

If I take a backup of my Mac Pro and then use that to boot my iMac the Prefs/Display Brightness slider is present, I assume
    then My Mac pro has a hardware issue ?

8. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

To me it sounds that you have a configuration issue. I cannot help you there because I use OS X in another language. Someone else needs to go with you through your settings for the monitor.

You generally find the brightness in system settings -> monitor -> brithness slider

9. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

yes, sounds the same as here : Ssystem Preferences -> Displays -> Brightness

OK, thanks for trying to you help anyway :)