Boot from DIY Fusion Drive

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Tanax, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Tanax macrumors 6502a

Does anyone know if it's possible to boot from a Thunderbolt-connected DIY Fusion Drive(e.g. both the SSD and the HDD is external)?

2. Tanax thread starter macrumors 6502a

Anyone? I did search for it but I didn't find anyone where they had both drives externally, they only had 1 drive externally and the other one internally.

3. Nuke61 macrumors 6502

There's no reason to think it wouldn't work, especially since Thunderbolt connected drives look like internal drives - PCI bus connected.

4. Tanax thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was just thinking that since the Fusion Drive basically is a software RAID and the software is actually on the fused drives.. when booting from it, will it recognize the 2 external drives as 1 Fusion Drive or will it recognize it as 2 external drives?

5. Nuke61 macrumors 6502

I have no reason to think it would be seen as an external anything, because Thunderbolt is an extension of the internal bus, so drives are seen as internal. If I get another external drive it'll be the Buffalo MiniStation Thunderbolt, and in that case I'll try it and report results. Right now I'm just trying to get my Synology NAS set up.

6. benwiggy macrumors 68020

If by "the software is on the fused drives" you mean that the OS sits on the FD and controls it at the same time, then yes.
    However, tt's no different from booting up an internal Fusion drive. As said, the only difference is that it's outside the chassis rather than inside.

7. Tanax thread starter macrumors 6502a

Alright, cheers guys :)

@up- Yes, that's why I was worried. The software (meaning the OS) sits on the FD and controls it at the same time, when booting the OS I just assumed the "FD" wouldn't get recognised since the OS hadn't booted up yet.

Now that I think about it, I guess it really shouldn't be any different than booting from internal!

8. Nuke61 macrumors 6502

I verified that it works as expected. I got another Buffalo MiniStation Thunderbolt drive, used Terminal with instructions I found in a search and created an external drive by fusing a 256GB 840 Pro with the Buffalo 1TB HDD, bith in Thunderbolt enclosures. I did a SuperDuper! clone and rebooted; worked fine.

As an FYI, while running from this DIY fused drive, I pulled one of the drive connectors and within a few seconds the Mac locked up. I rebooted normally and broke the fused drives back into their normal configuration.

9. Tanax thread starter macrumors 6502a

Awesome! Thank you :D