boot from dvd, lost password

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by cdreed, Dec 25, 2011.

1. cdreed macrumors newbie

I have a used macbook. I thought I set it up to open without a password. But at startup it asks for one. I cannot remember it and it will not boot from the DVD while holding down the C. There is nothing on the computer since the previous owner wiped it out so nothing can be lost at this point. I just what to be able to get it working. Any suggestion on how to get past the password issue?

2. simsaladimbamba

Can this help?
    In short: you encounter a firmware password and removing the RAM helps resetting it.

3. cdreed thread starter macrumors newbie

reset PRAM

I reset the PRAM then restarted with the C held down. It did not let me boot from the DVD. I still have the unwanted name and password window.

----------

Sorry, you think I need to remove the RAM then place it back to help it boot up?

4. simsaladimbamba

I do not think, I know, thus I linked you to the article. You need to remove the RAM in order to reset the firmware password, or you contact the old owner and ask for it.

5. cdreed thread starter macrumors newbie

removed RAM

I removed the RAm and reinstalled it. Is there something special I should do at this pint other tan try booting holding down the C? That did not work. Thanks

6. simsaladimbamba

Have you followed the steps I linked to?
    "Remove the RAM, do a PRAM reset until you hear three chimes, put the RAM back."

7. cdreed thread starter macrumors newbie

boot from DVD

Sorry, I do not see the link so I found info myself on how to remove the RAM. I will do it again and reset the PRAM.

8. simsaladimbamba

[​IMG]

9. cdreed thread starter macrumors newbie

it worked

I got it to work before I saw your repost over directing me to the link. Sorry, I was looking for a long web address and that obviously did not hit me.

Thanks a bunch for the help, you made the holiday better.