Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

govindablu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
Hi,

I ran out of blank DVD's & CD's last night to burn a program that requires a disk image being burned in order for the install to work.

This got me thinking is there anyway I could mount the image onto my firewire400 drive and boot from that?

i've tried a few different methods for getting my powerbook g4 to recognize the image on the External the time it boots, but all to no avail.

I've tried pressing 'OPTIOn', & 'COMMAND+OPTION+SHIfT+DELETE' at boot but it does not recognize it.

IS there any other methods that you guys know of that may help me out?

thanks-cheers
govinda

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
You can restore such a disk image to an external FW HD using the Disk Utility app.
That way most developers created bootable Leopard Beta install volumes, instead of having to burn them each and every time to a Dual Layer DVD+R.

admiraldennis

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2002
Boston, MA
Open Disk Utility and partition the target drive to your liking.

Click on the 'Restore' tab, drag the disk image to the Source field and the target volume to the Destination field.

After performing the Restore operation, select the volume in Startup Disk and restart.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.