Boot from External HD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TommyFiz, Oct 19, 2008.

1. TommyFiz macrumors newbie

So I've had a few threads, started with I have water damage to my mac, then how can I get files from my water damaged mac, and now I got my third and hopefully final question.

My hard drive was NOT water damaged, and I was able to get all the files from it and put it onto my new [Windows Vista] laptop. Just tonight I got to wondering if I could use my old leopard CD from my mac and install it on this, but after doing some research it looks like you have to download a pirate version of OSX and I'm not really looking to do all that. So now I have my hard drive here, and I know in BIOS I can change the boot order to boot from USB hard drive first. So I tried this, and just ended up with a blank screen and a blinking cursor.

Is it possible to boot from my external mac-formatted HD on this windows laptop? Sorry if my description got hard to understand, I often babble.

Cliffs:
    Nothing wrong with HD
    Bios allows me to boot from external
    ...but it doesn't work
    I want to boot mac osx on my VAIO

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

No.

You have no Mac OS X supported hardware - even if it is Intel, but not the one Apple uses. Besides, the VAIO has a Bios, and not an EFI, what Apple computers use.

You have to look for a pirated version of Mac OS X to "enjoy" it on your Vaio.

3. TommyFiz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. I've already looked at the pirated version and really, downloading 4gb files never really was for me. I guess I'll just stick with Vista, as it eats away at all my system resources.