boot from old ipod via firewire on an intel mac or MBP?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by nllm.oo.mlln, Aug 30, 2010.

1. nllm.oo.mlln macrumors newbie

hello my name actually is Mack and I have a question:

can I boot from my HP iPod via firewire on a 2007 imac or an i7 MBP? in other words, do early iPods play nice w/ intel macs via firewire?

the reason I ask is because I'm tempted by OWC's 40GB SSD sale and want to try SSD's without the risk that comes w/ surgery (save for the old iPod).

please advise
    Mack

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It should boot fine. As well as long as the iPod is formatted in GUID, but once it is everything will work fine. I don't know how/what GUID will do/work with the iPod. You'll have to wait for some other experiences from other posters.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If it is one of these SSDs, then they won't fit into the iPod, as it only takes 1.8" HDD/SSDs, and the OWC SSD is 2.5".

Older iPods should work fine with Firewire and Intel Macs, those Intel Macs still have a Firewire port.

But as that port is only Firewire 400, you are limited to 39MB/s, thus no real need for an SSD anyway.

Btw, the HDD in the MBPs is not hard to replace, look into the User Guide of your MBP (printed or PDF) and see for yourself, page 4x/5x or something.

4. nllm.oo.mlln thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow! that was almost as snappy as my employer's big-dog-MBP that I'm posting from (and cycling the battery from) which came in today.

GUiD? hmmmph, gonna have to delve into the nerdiness that made me run from winders (thought it was a file system but looks like it's a partition table)

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Forget what I said. I misread your post. Go with what spinnerlys said.

6. nllm.oo.mlln thread starter macrumors newbie

nah that's good...

I just thought old iPods had (standard lappy drives) 2.5 drives... forgot that form factor in old school iPods... my scheme won't necessarily work (I'm not gonna boot from an old iPod dangling from adapters I bought from newegg-- not gonna do it.

I posted this in iMac forum BC deep down I'm thinking about burying a small ssd in my personal iMac and storing media on an external drive

as for the MBP ... thinking about a super drive swap (and writing media to the HD :cool: )

life long mack here but only been w/ apple's computers since '07 thanks for the help (so far?)