Boot from SSD ext Thunderbolt?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tulsamal, May 3, 2011.

1. tulsamal macrumors newbie

So there is a wait for SSD. And Apple always charges too much for their BTO stuff anyway. But, on the other hand, I get concerned when I look at all the steps necessary to install it yourself. Especially on a literally brand new iMac.

I'm looking at those two high speed Thunderbolt ports and wondering.... you could use one for video and one for external data. Could somebody like OWC introduce an external box for SSD that connects through the Thunderbolt port? It is such a high speed interface... would it be just as fast as mounting it internally?

If I knew the answer, I wouldn't be asking!

Gregg

2. gianly1985 macrumors 6502a

gianly1985

Just what i was thinking.

Im pretty sure buying a LACIE Thunderbolt Little Big Disk RAID0 240gb SSD + base 21,5" iMac will cost way less than going for the pricier 21,5" imac + 256gb SSD option.

Base 21,5" iMac = 1199$ (500gb if you don't tear it down) + XXXX (240gb RAID Lacie external SSD over faster-than-SATA PCI-express-based Thunderbolt)

Pricier 21,5" iMac = 1499$ + at least 500$ to get a 256gb SSD CTO

If you don't care about the GPU, but you want an SSD, the first options seems better if XXXX < 800$.

Heck, at 800$ you could get the Lacie RAID0 500gb SSD.

3. Jazwire macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

There are no Thunderbolt cases/drives that are available right now, correct?

I see the Lacie item is supposed to ship Summer 2011, which in reality means June - Never.

4. cresta233 macrumors newbie

Im trying to find out the same thing...I bought the new 27" iMac with 1TB HDD, and thinking about the BTO option of SSD. But was thinking if the Thunderbolt port allows for a future SSD drive that is bootable, I can just upgrade down the road. Reading a lot of varied reports on the quality of the iMac SSD option.

Overall pleased with the performance and it blows my 2007 iMac out of the water on most things already....that disk speed of SSD has me thinking!

5. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

6. glitch44 macrumors 65816

Have they enabled booting from a thunderbolt drive?

The last I checked it wasn't enabled, but maybe firmware updates have made it possible:
    (link)

I guess it's difficult to check with no thunderbolt enclosures yet.

7. TennisandMusic

Are they saying you can't boot yet because there are no drives to test, or because they didn't make it possible? Seems to me like booting from the a TB disk would be an awesome feature.

8. rnb2 macrumors regular

As of the release of the 2011 MacBook Pros, booting via Thunderbolt was not possible. I'm sure it will be possible at some point in the future, but as far as I can tell, it isn't at present.

9. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Seems to me allowing booting from TB would give consumers a lot of choice, something apple is not traditionally known for. If so, why give apple an additional $600 for an additional SSD drive in an imac if you can slap one into an external TB enclosure?

Apple's not stupid, which is why I wouldn't be surprised if they're limiting or preventing this feature. Sniff, sniff, sniff...I smell marketers...and accountants.

10. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

TB port might be faster than even SATA3. But if u buy iMac, then you want to keep things as simple as possible. Having tb ssd enclosure around the table aint cool, u know?

That's why there is option for internal ssd, it's neat! Just like iMac should
    Dont get me wrong. I hate apple for not giving affordable option on imac ssd. Still ... having internal ssd is much better to be honest

11. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Wouldn't bother me, not like we're carting the iMac to Starbucks.

12. gwerhart0800 macrumors 6502

A bit of Velcro and the SSD enclosure would be nicely hidden on the backside of the iMac. Since they are not a big generator of heat or vibration, I think this would be a reasonable plan. Of course, all of this hinges on whether or not Thunderbolt drives are bootable or not.