Boot from USB

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rKunda, Mar 29, 2014.

1. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

I have a late 2008 MacBook. I've never tried booting off another drive, but I may need to start soon. Is it possible to use that MacBook to boot off a USB drive (rubbing Windows)?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes, but booting to a Windows USB drive is not easy and borderline impossible for anything other than for installing Windows onto the Macbook.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Sure... assuming the USB drive has a bootable image of OS X on there, just hold the option key when booting and select the USB drive as the boot drive.

Edit: You mean USB boot to Windows? Not gonna work.

4. rKunda thread starter macrumors 65816

rKunda

Bummer. Thanks for saving me from buying a drive. ;)

Is it possible on current models, or just something that bootcamp won't do at all?

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

6. rKunda thread starter macrumors 65816

rKunda

Ah okay. Might need to upgrade to a faster machine with more HD space, then.

Thank you.

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

If you are at least any bit competent with a screw driver, white MacBooks are insanely easy to upgrade. Simply remove the L shaped shield inside the battery bay and remove the hard drive. If it is an Aluminum MacBook, it is very easy as well. Simply remove the battery and the mounting bracket. Then just transfer the four mounting screws to the new drive.

This is a six year old Mac and it is worlds behind the new ones. I am offering the ability to upgrade it and let it serve you a few more years.

8. rKunda thread starter macrumors 65816

rKunda

Thanks. I suppose a battery and HD is cheaper than a new mac. :)