boot into laptop from desktop via FW400?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shecky, Sep 7, 2008.

1. shecky Guest

shecky

i know this sounds goofy, but i have my MBP with Keynote on it that i use for lectures. The computer + projector where i need to give my lectures does not have, nor will it ever have, a copy of Keynote. Due to typographic control and transitions, i really very, very strongly prefer to run the presentations off my laptop as opposed to exporting the Keynote as PPT or PDF and using the exiting desktop. Unplugging the DVI cable from the desktop and putting it on my laptop is "strongly discouraged" from the school's IT department.

so, the question is, can i plug my laptop into the desktop via firewire and boot off of the laptop's drive, thereby running my laptop through the desktop and into the projector?

i know i can do this with a regular external FW drive, and i know i can do Target Disk Mode from my laptop to mount its drive on the desktop. But will Target Disk Mode allow me to run a Keynote presentation from my laptop?

thanks!

2. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Not if the intent is to use the display physically connected to the desktop. Also, if you use the desktop to access your laptop in target mode you can access the file but no keynote (on the desktop) and therefore no presentation.

I'm afraid you must ignore the strong discouragement (I know they are afraid of broken pins and dangling cables left behind but...) of the IT police and disconnect for your presentation and reconnect so that others can use the standard arrangement.

Cheers,

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Or

you can download chicken of the VNC and related server apps and load up your macbook pro and connect via wifi/ethernet on the desktop presentation machine-full screen and go.

Although unless you have some serious gigE/(Draft?) N pipe running through those walls it will be as choppy as the gulf of mexico ;)

Here is something else you can do, which works great.

Quicktime has a "presentation" export mode, which will stop and start the movie, presentation style.

Your output (quicktime file) will be static in the sense that you cannot change the content on the fly, but you can export your entire presentation, transitions and all, and have it play just like a movie, with next actions (I couldn't go backwards)

I did this with a 1080p presentation that I had to do on a Windows machine and Powerpoint looked to cheap and trashy compared to keynote.

4. metroid87706 macrumors regular

metroid87706

Is it a Mac desktop? If it is, coudn't you hook up the laptop, and put it into Target Disk Mode, and then boot that drive, and run Keynote and the presentation? I mean, all that does it uses the desktops hardware, along with the laptops hard drive.

5. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I don't know how Keynote works. If it can be run from the target drive without installing it on the desktop that would work.

Cheers,

6. jmedley macrumors newbie

From another angle ...

I'm wanting to startup on a laptop, from a desktop. The reason is the monitors out on the desktop but I want to use apps and such located on the desktop. Right now, I don't have the opportunity to try this, but can't I connect the laptop and desktop via firewire, then startup both and go to 'startup disk' on the laptop and select the desktop and restart? Or would it not show as an available startup disk?

7. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

If it's a mac desktop, then yes you should be able to startup your laptop in target mode and boot the desktop from it.