Boot iPhoto from Online/Offsite Storage?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lurkyloo, Jun 19, 2009.

1. lurkyloo macrumors newbie

OK, I've read this thread about using an offsite storage solution to back up your iPhoto Library, but what do you think about setting iPhoto up to access your library directly from your offsite storage?

From my initial research, it appears that certain solutions, like Jungle Disk, work in such a way that they actually mount to your desktop like an external hard drive. If I can tell iPhoto to access my library from an external HD, shouldn't I similarly be able to tell it to access the library from Jungle Disk?

I'm just trying to find a way to keep 35 GB of photos someplace besides my MacBookPro and yet be able to access them anywhere I take my laptop (without lugging along an external HD).

Thanks! :)

2. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

You can buy an account from dropbox. I think you can either buy 50 or 100GB of storage. 2GB is free. This can be installed on multiple computers and all the files are synchronized through one account. So if you want to share a large amount of files between your computers, then you can install dropbox on any of them. You can also access your files from any computer. On OSX, dropbox just acts like a folder but when you put files into it, it uploads them to your account. I believe you could direct your iphoto to draw photos from this folder.