Boot issue..

Discussion in 'macOS' started by raptureseven, Sep 2, 2010.

1. raptureseven macrumors newbie

Okay, let me go over what happened.

I'm borrowing my girlfriend's macbook because the video card on my Windows desktop died. I am currently enjoying 648x480 res & 4bit color as I write this post.

My girlfriend and I decided to go out for the day, and we decided to let my little brother use the laptop while we were gone. SO APPARENTLY, he decides he wants to install photoshop. It prompts him for an admin password, which I didn't leave with him. He can't get in touch with me because I'm in a movie with my phone off.

This is where it gets bad. What he told me he did is listed here:

Hack 2 Fooling OS X with Registration Process :

Reboot
    Hold apple + s down after you hear the chime.
    When you get text prompt enter in these terminal commands to create a brand new admin account (hitting return after each line):
    mount -uw /
    rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
    shutdown -h now
    After rebooting you should have a brand new admin account. When you login as the new admin you can simply delete the old one and you’re good to go again!

taken from:

http://www.ihackintosh.com/2009/05/how-to-hack-the-user-password-in-mac-os-x-without-an-os-x-cd/

What happens now is, when it boots, the grey screen with the logo appears along with a progress bar. The progress bar updates to about 1/10th of the way, freezes and disappears. Then the spinning wheel just sits and spins indefinitely.

fsck -fy comes back with a keys out of order error -- trying to fix them results in disk0s2 i o error. Booting verbose mode generally seems to loop that, too. We do not currently have the install disks but I could have them mailed to us.

I'm 99% sure it's not hardware-related. The drive was purchased under a year ago and has been tested periodically. This never happened until he did what he did.

Any idea what I can do?

2. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

What version of OS X are you running on the MacBook?

3. raptureseven thread starter macrumors newbie

Ugh, sorry -- can't believe I forgot that. I believe it's the latest update of Snow Leopard.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

So did he delete your admin user account, which of course holds all of your data and stuff :eek:

I hope you have a backup

5. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

If you have the install disc on you, boot from that and run Disk Utility to check to see that file permissions can be fixed.

If that fails to work, run the installer from the disk and reinstall Snow Leopard. Doing so will do a repair install of the OS and leave all the data on the MacBook intact. I have first hand experience of this when my Snow Leopard broke and wouldn't boot. I ran the installer and Snow Leopard rebooted sucessfully and left my data intact.

6. raptureseven thread starter macrumors newbie

No, he claims he wasn't stupid enough to do anything past that command. I'll see if I can get the disks mailed to me, we forgot them when we moved. This is very frustrating.

Any other suggestions in the meantime?

7. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

8. raptureseven thread starter macrumors newbie

the step fsck -fy screws up on is rebuilding b-catalog, by the way -- then the IO error.

edit: no on safe mode, same issue :/