Boot logo flickers once whilst on boot (video)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by patrickbmac, Oct 2, 2016.

1. patrickbmac macrumors newbie

This seems to happen every time the computer boots. I presume this isn't normal for the logo to flicker like this. The computer runs fine without any issues, however I noticed on other videos, their macs don't flicker like this on boot.

This is a 2015 Retina model. 16GB, 256GB Storage, i7 etc;

Here is a video showing what happens. Just a few seconds long.
    https://sendvid.com/uf2faij6

2. elf69 macrumors 65816

elf69

I get a similar flicker on my 2009 macbook on sierra.

the apple logo does not move like yours but mine dissapears very briefly then comes back at approx 2 thirds through the loading bar.

I have an SSD so it loads fast anyway.

3. patrickbmac thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I assume this is not normal. The Macbook is less than a week old from new and everything else works perfectly.

4. elf69 macrumors 65816

elf69

maybe it is the res changing in the boot/bios?

I see it sometimes in new windows PCs as it loads the GFX driver.

maybe that is what it is doing?

5. patrickbmac thread starter macrumors newbie

I just went into my display settings and changed things. I remember when I first got this laptop the resolution was set as 'Default for display' yet I changed it to 'Scaled' and then >more space. On the scaled option it appeared that the flickering was happening on the boot. Now I have changed back to 'Default for display' and there is no flickering. I guess you were right then. This doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the Macbook right?

6. elf69 macrumors 65816

elf69

I dont know sorry.

Im a mac newcomer so not know that much sorry.

7. JTToft macrumors 68040

- As far as I am aware, that option should only matter once OS X is running, not before.

8. elf69 macrumors 65816

elf69

sure but upon loading it has to load the users setting if different from the defaults, so maybe thats why it flickers as user has changed settings.

9. tryrtryrtryrt, Oct 2, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2016

tryrtryrtryrt Suspended

@patrickbmac, yours looks like the resolution becomes different for a second.

Mine just disappears for a second or two.

Also when you FileVault your Mac it first shows blurred desktop background and asks for a password to decrypt the disk, then disappears for a second or two, then shows black screen with Apple logo, and then loads desktop background again. It boggles my mind that some years ago Steve Jobs made Apple developers make this "blurred desktop background" thing even before disk is decrypted - that's the kind of perfection you'd expect from Apple back then... and now they've spoiled it with blinking and black screen with Apple logo in between. Pathetic.

I can't say this is normal but this is how things worked for me on rMBP 15" late 2013 and mid-2015 and iMac 5K 27" late 2015 even though I've reinstalled the OS (and different versions of it as well) from scratch several times without migrating any data.

Oh, well, 'member Macs had Apple spotlight? I 'member.

10. patrickbmac thread starter macrumors newbie

yes the resolution does change when the logo flickers, it goes to a smaller logo and loading bar. This only happens when I have changed the resolution in the desktop display settings. I notice that when I set the display settings to default that the logo doesn't flicker and just appears normally

11. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Then that's the reason. And then some amount of inelegant coding or bugs causes it to shift or flicker. Probably just the way it is until it's addressed in an update.

12. Fishrrman macrumors G4

How does the Mac run AFTER it boots up?

Problems?
    Or… NO problems.

If the answer is "no problems", I wouldn't worry about it.

13. patrickbmac thread starter macrumors newbie

14. jerryk macrumors 68020

Do us all a favor and never use that site again to post a video. No one needs popup ads playing before the video.

Post on Youtube.

15. bjet767 macrumors 6502a

My 2105 rMB 12" has done the exact same thing using a scaled view since day one. Not an issue and can't be fixed.