Boot m.2 ssd in PowerMac G5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by rabidz7, Jun 8, 2017.

1. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

I have tried to get an XP941 in my G5 Quad on a PCIe expansion card. It is recognized and is extremely fast, but it is not bootable when OS X is installed to it. It does not show up in the boot menu. Is there a way to boot off of a PCIe m.2 SSD on a G5?

2. LightBulbFun macrumors 6502a

LightBulbFun

The only way to get such a device bootable in OS X is to use a helper volume/SSD on the SATA bus (How Xpostfacto works when you tell it to boot from say a FireWire device)

otherwise No the XP741 is not bootable on a G5 Due to OpenFirmware lacking any sort of AHCI driver

BTW do you have System profiler shots of it? im quite curious how it shows up in OS X...

3. HarCees macrumors member

How fast can you get it with the PowerMac PCI slot? :)

4. appleish19 macrumors regular

appleish19

I'm also extremely interested in how fast this is working for my quad. Really looking to upgrade.

5. mzs.112000 macrumors regular

You will not get it working in a PMG5, they can only boot from drives that are recognized by Open Firmware as a bootable device(hint: M.2 SSD's are not recognized), you would have to either modify Open Firmware(probably not possible), OR have a bootable hard drive, with software that can recognize a PCI M.2 SSD, then that software has to find and execute a bootloader on that SSD, and pass control of the computer over to that bootloader.

This is very similar to why we can't just put any PC graphics card in, it does not have the FORTH code required to be recognized by Open Firmware, therefore Open Firmware will not see it and will not boot the computer.