Boot Mac from a CD application

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MACINTEXAS, Apr 2, 2012.

1. MACINTEXAS macrumors newbie

Background - Daughter just bought a new iMAC desktop - now have a friend living with us and wants to get a home based call center job using this new iMac.

Prospective employer sent instructions on how to test pc evaluation where I was to burn an iso app to a cd then reboot the computer using the cd app.

I have not been successful - I poked around and found that an iMac should boot from a cd holding the "c" key down - did not work
    or holding down the option key and then choosing the cd disk option - did not work either.

Could this be that the actual app sent is not Mac compatible? Is there something else I could do?

Thank you so much for any guidance - I am beyond a newbie - its not even my iMac!!! just trying to help a jobless friend!!!

2. simsaladimbamba

An application is not bootable, an Operating System (OS) is. If it is just an app you got, which is probably for Windows (maybe tell us its name?), then you need to run Windows to start that app.

Booting Windows on the Mac

3. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

Some apps come on bootable CDs or DVDs (like TechTool), or at least have an image file that you can burn the bootable disk from.

My guess is that it's a Windows thing. If you "Get Info" on the disk, what is the format?

4. MACINTEXAS thread starter macrumors newbie

my apologies - application was not the correct word to use here.

The employer calls this an iso image file - in the instructions they state that this cannot run in Windows that you should cancel out if Windows asks you to "run" it. It states to put the cd in the disk drive, shut down then reboot your computer. Instructions state that the computer should run the reboot from the cd automatically but if it does not, follow the reboot instructions from your own computer. There is no mention in either the job application or these instructions that this is pc only and not MAC compatible but I have my suspisions now.

They provide screen shots and the top of the screenshot says this is
    ISOLINUX.

I did find this in a README file on the CD

You can start the LiveCD from DOS prompt. Boot your DOS and type:

X:
    CD \BOOT\DOS
    hilton.bat

(replace X: by your CDROM drive letter)

If you do not have DOS installed, or it is not able to access your CD,
    try to boot from a diskette. You can use FreeDos from http://www.freedos.org
    which has already a CD drivers included

Thanks for the help!

5. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

A linux ISO should be bootable on your iMac. How did you go about burning the .iso file to a CD?

6. MACINTEXAS thread starter macrumors newbie

Update - the employer emailed me and said that their system was not compatible with MAC so I am not going to attempt any further, to boot from this CD.

I really appreciate the responses and assistance.

Just for reference I will answer your questions -

The employer provided me with an online link where I selected a file and downloaded and burned to a CD (part of their requirements included owning a cd burner so this portion was actually part of the technical requirements to prove you owned a cd burner I suspect.)

And I did not try the disk utility.

Again, thanks for your quick responses.

7. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

Requiring Windows for a work-from-home job is a good way to select from the bottom 85%! ;)