Boot Mavericks from USB - not install

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by maphead, May 16, 2014.

1. maphead macrumors newbie

Hey Mac-o-philes
    PLEASE post instructions for making a bootable Mavericks USB. I have a clean install - now I want to boot from my different start up disk (the bootable USB I need to make ) so that I can restore from a CCC clone.
    Repeat - Mavs is installed - I need to option start from a different start up disk.
    I have an 8GB USB stick and a WD USB drive available and awaiting your instruction.
    Thanks!!

2. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

3. maphead thread starter macrumors newbie

:eek:
    Um - I should - but the drive where the clone resides has a WD proprietary lock on it so it does not show at option start.
    AND
    I would like to have a nice, bare minimum Mavericks USB to start any machine when needed.
    I am super surprised at the gaping void of information about how to make a Mavericks boot USB. I have fished around a lot of searches before asking here.

4. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

What do you exactly want : a bootable installer of Mavericks, or a fully workable system ? If the later, this is NOT possible on a 8 GB stick (*).

First let's us know what you exactly need and you will get the infos.

(*) a system installed on a USB stick is very slow, not a good idea IMO.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Go to the App Store and download Mavericks then stop the installer when it begins. The ~5GB installer will be in your Applications folder (leave it there).

The use either this utility or this official Apple method (same end result) with your 8GB USB key to make the installer.

Edit: You just want an installer... or a utility key for troubleshooting etc? You can use this Apple tool with a 1GB or larger USB key to make a recovery key to troubleshoot.

6. maphead, May 16, 2014
    Last edited: May 16, 2014

maphead thread starter macrumors newbie

What I want exactly is a way to boot up (NOT install anything) a minimal system so that I can use CCC to restore system items.

I appreciate the link to the recovery option but Apple's little tool does not allow for access to anything but theirTime Machine back ups. A recovery tool is good to have - like I said: I appreciate that link, but its does not really boot the machine. It puts a playskool set of choices up that would work if I had TimeMachine backups on an unlocked drive.

I'd use the WD external USB to boot but it has a (whack) WD drive lock software on it that disallows choosing it from an option start.

Soooooo - I hoped/have tried/ really wish to any available deity that I could just start from an attached drive so that I could restore my system to something that resembled the environment I had before I undertook to clean install this horsey/surfy/rogue-y OS X version.

Rant starts here:Back in the day a user could have a minimal sys on a CD/DVD/external drive for a simple boot up.
    After days of ________(fill in adjective here) research,work arounds and general mayhem - I am sad that I ever felt a clean install was needed.:apple::mad:

7. maphead thread starter macrumors newbie

Lauper sez...

And the answer was THROW MONEY at the problem. Got a fresh WD drive. Wiped it. Left off the WD software lock, made a partition just for a boot drive.
    I h-o-p-e I will be restoring files from the locked WD soon after the backup to this new drive completes.

THANKS Mac Pals. Cyndy Lauper said it best: $$$Money changes everything.$$$

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Sorry for the late reply... but the recovery tool I mentioned would have done the trick for you. You could have option key booted to the recovery tool then from there used Disk Utility to clone (using the restore tab) the CCC disk to your internal drive.