boot Mavx from an extUSB HD

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by zoran, Dec 29, 2013.

1. zoran macrumors 68030

Is it possible to install Mavericks on a USB external HD (30GB) and boot from it? If yes, im gonna need some help on this. :D

2. Bear macrumors G3

30GB? Yes you could install it, but you won't be able to do much with it.

3. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

Not much in what way? Due to speed you mean? Ok ill have to put my other FW800 ext HD! But how do i do all this, how do i install it on the drive?

4. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Speed yes it will suck also not many programs can be installed in that amount of space. To install simply boot the installer select the drive you wish to install on then let it install on it. When you reboot you hold down Option key to get the boot device selection screen or you could have selected the new install from the Select startup boot volume menu in the installer instead of having chosen the restart option once it completed..

5. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

Ok, thanx. Now for downloading Mavx, i do have an Apple ID but where do i download it from? AppStore? And what is needed there?

6. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Nothing should be needed if your eligible it will show up. One thing to consider is that downloading it from the App Store will start the installer if you wish to use it again copy the install application from the /Applications folder before you begin an install as it will delete it once you close the window or the system is done installing.

7. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

Doesn't it require credit card credentials? Last time i checked i think it was asking me to fill them in!