boot MB from MBP disk?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vm7118, Aug 3, 2008.

1. vm7118 macrumors regular

if i put the hard disk from a MBP into a macbook, will OS X installed on the disk boot up, recognize the changes, and change drivers, etc?

will i be able to move that disk back into the original machine (the MBP) later, and will it work like it did before?

2. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

Short answer: yes, no problems.

Long answer: If it's only for a temporary thing, use target disk mode and a firewire cable. That way, you don't have to open either up.

3. vm7118 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the quick reply. it's relatively temporary, but i'm pretty comfortable opening them up.

and by relatively temporary, i mean a couple days. and i don't have the appropriate firewire cable. so looks like i'll be switching them!

thanks again :)

4. vm7118 thread starter macrumors regular

oops, forgot to mention that i only have a disk... not the MBP itself. so target disk mode wouldn't even be an option.

i guess i should invest in a USB/eSATA enclosure for this type of thing in the future.

5. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

an external closure will do fine too.

but you should not have any issues at all if the drive itself is running leopard, it will recognize all the hardware of the new machine and the software of the previous machine.

ive done this a few times to test the OS on a few of my other systems as well, and thats one of the nice things like about it, being able to do that =)