Boot MB with MBP disk w/o reinstalling?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by vm7118, Aug 3, 2008.

1. vm7118 macrumors regular

I apologize in advance if this is an easy answer... I am very familiar with pc hardware but relatively new to OS X.

Here is my situation:

I have a programming final exam later this week, and my MBP's GPU up and died on me two days ago. I took it into the store (less than a year old) and they said it would take 4-7 days before I got it back, presumably with the motherboard/logic board replaced. So before I gave it to them, I switched out my hard disk (upgraded to hitachi 7k320) and RAM (upgraded to 4gb crucial), and put the stock stuff back in (160gb 7200 rpm, 2gb ram) with the OS still installed so they didn't think the GPU was somehow my fault.

My friend is letting me borrow her macbook for the week to study for my exams... can I pop in my MBP's hard disk? Will it boot up properly, and recognize the different hardware, and automatically change drivers?

I'm assuming this kind of "portability" is an inherent advantage of having Apple tie their software to their hardware. Please let me know if I'm mistaken.

And the reason I'm doing this is that I need all the help I can get on this exam... including having my files, etc., and hopefully this way I won't need to install bbcode or xcode on my girlfriend's macbook.

2. jimtron macrumors member

I'm not sure if the MB will boot from your disc--I guess it depends if the models are similar enough or not. But what you can do is get an adapter to use the hard drive as an external drive. You need a SATA to USB adapter--you should be able to find it at stores that have lots of computer stuff--Micro Center, maybe Best Buy or Circuit City. Here's one--make sure it's got a 2.5" SATA connector for a MB drive, as opposed to 3.5" which is for desktop drives. The one at the link works with both--might as well get one of those: http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-USB-DSC5-3-5-Inch-Converter-Adapter/dp/B000HJ99DI