Boot menu on wrong display.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Amigalander, May 25, 2008.

1. Amigalander macrumors regular

I recently bought a new monitor (the DoubleSight DS-263N) to use as my primary display. I also have a TV connected as a secondary display, which is always off, unless I'm watching a video or something.

Since hooking up the new monitor, my boot menu (holding alt/option during boot) shows on my TV even tho it's off.

In the display preferences, I have the menubar on my monitor. My monitor is connected to DVI #1 on the NVidia card, and my TV is connected to DVI #2. But my Mac still thinks my TV is my primary display instead of my monitor.

Where is this primary / secondary status defined? How do I make my monitor the primary display again? Is it a PRAM issue or something?

Thanks!

2. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Can you post a screen shot of your display preferences window ?

It may be that even though you have the menu bar on the 1st display it's on the right instead of the left.

3. Amigalander thread starter macrumors regular

Ooh, you're right. My monitor is on the right, and my TV on the left. I tried rearranging them, but still no luck. The grey screen, the boot menu, the apple logo, are all appearing on the TV, even tho it's off.

I assume simply unplugging the TV would make the monitor primary again, but I'm still wondering what defines a display to be primary vs secondary.

4. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Switch the cables. That should do it for you.

5. Amigalander thread starter macrumors regular

I solved this by

1. Shut down.
    2. Disconnect TV.
    3. Boot up (forces monitor to become primary).
    4. Shut down.
    5. Reconnect TV (now it's secondary).