Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Otis White

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
@osxfr33k,

Given that you continue to swear things broke between MyBootMgr 059 to myBootMgr 059a onward, Gone back to look at the code changes at that point again.

Can rename and paste the attached Refind efi into your setup with the old Tesla GPU and post log?

TBH I don't think its this BOOT file, I think it's OC. I can't prove it now because I had went and did the boot rom patch. I done a bunch of things since I got the RX 580. I even had the GPU seen by Mojave but with a purple & lime green offset for color (in my ignorance I failed to look at the loaded kext). I had @osxfr33k's duplicate issue before the ROM patch. I get the reFIND menu with your latest update (even changed the banner). OC's GUI menu is text for me, but I'm on another task for my (playing with Apple's AMD GPU Firmware EFI *fingers crossed). My post maybe for nothing or it may help. Either way I just wanted to share some of my feedback from using your BootManager (very well organized & actually motivated me to play around with EFI).

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
TBH I don't think its this BOOT file, I think it's OC.
It's the Refind GUI. OpenCore has not come into play at this stage of the boot cycle.
It only loads when specifically clicked and does not affect your settings in between. I.E., OpenCore doesn't leave anything behind that may affect subsequent boots. It is loaded fully each time.

did the boot rom patch.
Doing the ROM Patch is good; subject to heeding the warnings to avoid bricking your machine. I have it installed too.

OC's GUI menu is text for me
That's the intended mode with MyBootMgr and I run my setup this way. GUI is from Refind and OpenCore is just there to deal with some issues that may be needed now and then. OpenCanopy is distributed because I anticipated some would ask. I am not interested in it and don't know how to configure it.

Set a timeout of about 2 or 3 seconds in OpenCore or even hide the OpenCore BootPicker completely.

My post maybe for nothing or it may help.
No post is for nothing. Always feel free to contribute.

osxfr33k

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2019
@osxfr33k,

Given that you continue to swear things broke between MyBootMgr 059 to myBootMgr 059a onward, Gone back to look at the code changes at that point again.

Can rename and paste the attached Refind efi into your setup with the old Tesla GPU and post log?

Log attached :)

Attachments

• refind.log.zip
    4.9 KB · Views: 124
Reactions: Dayo

osxfr33k

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2019
@Dayo

Setting up OC GUI is a breeze working nicely for me. Just change two settings in OC under Misc/Boot Change Builtin to External and under UEFI/Drivers uncomment OpenCanopy and then replace your resource folder with the one attached thats it!!

Attachments

• Resources.zip
    1 MB · Views: 105

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
Setting up OC GUI is a breeze working nicely for me.
Thanks but you missed my point. I don't want OpenCanopy in the first place.
A good tip for those that might do though.

Last edited:

osxfr33k

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2019
As expected unfortunately.

Is it possible 059 was compiled in a different version of xCode or some new library(s) introduced in the compiling stage as you said the DBG boot file was introduced in 059a it could be possible. I have seen issues with Clover boot loader versions related to xCode versions and/or libraries used during the compiling stages of the binaries.

It’s a moog point at this stage I am happier running the RX560 it runs so much cooler compared to the Tesla gfx nvidia 8800 which runs hot so less stress in the MacPro3,1.

There is a timeout in both refind.conf and in the chainloader folder config.conf this is the one that enabled the timeout for me what is the one in refind.conf for and should they both be synced to the same time when you want to enable timeout? Default in refind.conf is 20 and 0 in config.conf.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
Refind allows overriding the default config files with another config file.
- refind.conf is a default Refind-GOPFix config file with no changes.
- config.conf is an override file with specific items included and these have different values from the default.

The overrides in config.conf are used and for items not in this file, default values are picked up from the refind.conf file.
Basically, the program first loads refind.conf which includes all the Refind params and then overwrites those params with any params it finds in config.conf.

Worth taking sake some time to familiarise yourself with the refind documentation here: http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind. I often find myself going back there to get answers.

Reactions: osxfr33k

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
@osxfr33k ,

Can you give the attached a try with the Tesla GPU and post the log?
Not likely to change the outcome but includes an additional GOP search method to make absolutely sure it is not present.

Attachments

• X02-BOOTx64.zip
    144.3 KB · Views: 142

osxfr33k

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2019
@osxfr33k ,

Can you give the attached a try with the Tesla GPU and post the log?
Not likely to change the outcome but includes an additional GOP search method to make absolutely sure it is not present.

Every time I see the white/gray screen flash and sticks around for about 5 seconds and it looks like its about to load the rEFInd GUI Menu and just ends up loading the text based Menu instead. This happens every time no matter what version of DBG file we try so at least that part is consistent and I wonder if the delay scan needs to be tweaked if there is such a setting?

Attachments

• refind.log.zip
    8.1 KB · Views: 100

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
I wonder if the delay scan needs to be tweaked if there is such a setting?
There is a "scan_delay" token in Refind.conf you can adjust but I don't think it is the issue.
Feel free to experiment.

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
@osxfr33k

Please run the (**DELETED**) through the usual process with the Tesla.

EDIT
Never mind doing the test. I found the bug elsewhere and fixed it.
Will issue a new release presently.

Last edited:
Reactions: startergo

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Can this AMD compatibility be implemented as a UGA on GOP Thunk driver, and installed using Driver#### and DriverOrder NVRAM variables, and allow for Startup Manager (aka BootPicker - hold option at startup) and Apple Hardware Test (AHT)?

Driver#### and DriverOrder explanation:

Thunk type driver and how to run the Startup Manager from rEFInd:

Reactions: Petri Krohn

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
Is there anyone with an unflashed Nvidia GPU on a MacPro3,1 willing to help test a RefindPlus instance that MAY give bootscreen on such combos?

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Is there anyone with an unflashed Nvidia GPU on a MacPro3,1 willing to help test a RefindPlus instance that MAY give bootscreen on such combos?
I have GTX 680 Mac Edition (Kepler) (I guess that counts as flashed).
Also have Titan X (Maxwell)
and GTX 1070 (Pascal)
The last two I can test with High Sierra.

Reactions: startergo and Dayo

JoSch

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2013
FYI: My GTX680 in my MacPro3,1 is flashed and it runs RefindPlus just fine.

Reactions: Dayo

Engender

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2007
I would love to get a boot screen on my 4,1>5,1 Mac Pro, but I find this confusing. Does anyone want to type up step-by-step instructions for installing Dayo's solution.

Also, will this solution allow me to install the Big Mac patcher?

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
Thanks to great work by @joevt with support from @startergo and @Macschrauber, RefindPlus now provides Pre-Boot Configuration Screens AKA "Bootscreen" with virtually every GPU out there that has GOP be it by AMD or Nvidia or others as yet unknown.

As long as it has GOP, you may need to flash the GPU with the latest version of GOP for the GPU, it is basically certain to show the Bootscreen and if other tools, such as OpenCore, are chain-loaded from RefindPlus, this fix will persist on those tools.

See Post 256 for links.

Last edited:

Sabirband

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2021
Hi.
sorry for my English
Mac Pro 3.1
Installed refind on one of the drives
Everything works well on the first reboot.

After the next boot, the Mac starts the system by default
How do I configure the bootloader so that the Mac pro will constantly enter refind?

thank

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
Check out the progress made in

Reactions: Sabirband
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.