Boot OS X from an USB drive in Windows/Linux?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by LostSoul80, Sep 6, 2010.

1. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Is this possible? I have SL installed on my drive, and I can boot from it on my iMac. How to do that in a PC with Windows/Linux installed? My guess is that I can't, but let me know if I'm wrong. Thanks

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

It depends on the PC. A vanilla install of OSX rarely works. What you are wanting is called a hackintosh. Try looking at www.insanelymac.com

3. LostSoul80 thread starter macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

I don't want to install OS X on a PC, I'd just boot from an USB drive - as I said, I have SL onto it, not its installer. :)

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Boot from = installing on. Doesn't matter if the drive is internal or external.

5. LostSoul80 thread starter macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Boot from means that you boot from something, not that you install something. A Live CD is an example, but USB drives can do the same. You can boot, for example, a Windows disk to perform maintenance, or even an OS X disk to do whatever you want.

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

What do you do after you install an OS on a drive? You boot from it. Vanilla installations like that on your USB drive generally don't boot on PCs (assuming your PC can even work with the drive's GUID partition scheme). You have to build an installation on the drive for that specific hardware in order to be able to boot from it.

7. LostSoul80 thread starter macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Ok, got it. At the end of the process, I'll still be able to boot the drive from an Apple computer?
    Another question: in the OSx86 wiki there's no useful reference for this - it's explained how you can boot the modified SL from a PC and do your stuff. Since I have only 1 available 8 gb drive, how can I do? Modifying the SL, then opening it from another partition on the Mac, and then installing SL on the empty and HFS+j(?) formatted drive? (Yeah, I have two partitions on the iMac, so opening the installer it's not a problem).
    Thanks for the your help, btw. :)

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Probably not.
    Its going to be tight on an 8GB drive. I'm no expert on hackintosh installations. Your questions are best asked over at insanelymac.

9. LostSoul80 thread starter macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Ok, let's see what happen.