Boot OSX via external SSD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by X-JRO, May 4, 2011.

1. X-JRO macrumors member

(didn't know where else to post this - I have searched for threads and google'd)

I've got an old '08 iMac 24" and I was wondering if it would be worth picking up a SSD HD to boot Lion on when it comes out. I'd do a fresh install also. I'd have to be via Firewire 800 as it's the fastest port offered on this model.

Any thoughts?

Any recommendations re; harddrives with enclosures.

Thanks

2. zweigand macrumors 6502a

zweigand

3. X-JRO thread starter macrumors member

Brah you are a ninja!

Could you maybe link me to a good place to get the drive with an 800 enclosure?

Looking now

4. zweigand macrumors 6502a

zweigand

I suggest OWC (macsales.com linked above) they have all sizes and they have a nice 3-year warranty on them. They also have very good reviews.

5. discounteggroll macrumors 6502

discounteggroll

I second the motion for macsales.

How big of a difference do you think you'd see comparing the SSD in FW800 to the same SSD in SATA configuration?

6. zweigand macrumors 6502a

zweigand

The difference you would see would be in large sustained transfers ...and they would be significantly faster. The good thing about this specific external is that with a Thunderbolt to eSATA adapter you'll be able to get max performance out of the drive when you finally upgrade.

7. discounteggroll macrumors 6502

discounteggroll

F thunderbolt, im a die-hard Firewire fanbois

I know I'll be a hypocrite at some point, but firewire is still my go-to interface

8. zweigand macrumors 6502a

zweigand

Lucky for you there should be plenty TB > FW hubs available too. ;)

9. discounteggroll macrumors 6502

discounteggroll

hubs are for losers. Daisy chaining is where it's at

10. X-JRO thread starter macrumors member

Any preference between 2.5" and 3.5" drives (aside from the fact that I'm finding it hard to come across 3.5")?

11. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I've never seen a 3.5" SSD haha. I have an OWC 120GB in my iMac using a 3.5" adapter that they sell for $19. Because of the lack of moving parts, they can make them small.

12. zweigand macrumors 6502a

zweigand

You get the external w/2.5" drive. Beautiful part is they are bus powered. Only cable you need is FW800.

13. X-JRO thread starter macrumors member

Sorry to bother again - but what size would be good for keeping the OS on and some other big programs on.

Would it also be worth putting FCP etc. on the SSD?

14. zweigand macrumors 6502a

zweigand

I bought a 115. I keep all my photos, movies, and videos on my external. That leaves more than enough room for the system, applications, and any current files I'm working with.

I'd put FCP on the SSD, but because video files are large I'd suggest you'd edit them on the internal drive because the large file read/write speed is probably a bit better than FW800

15. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Ditto here. All of my media is on my NAS. Adobe Master CS5 is wicked fast on the SSD. I'd assume that FCP is similar speed to this too. Unexpected FYI - having media on a NAS versus external means that you don't have the startup delay associated with the external hard drive spinning up.

16. Zortrium macrumors 6502

I've got this 3.5" drive in my iMac and the exact same 2.5" drive in my MacBook. Only difference is not having to use any kind of mounting bracket in a 3.5" slot.