Boot, password problems on Mac Mini, OS Leopard 10.5,

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Messageman, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Messageman macrumors newbie

Just purchased an iMac to replace my trusty MacMini. Tried following Apple's migration assistant instructions to transfer files from the Mini to the new machine, but the process kept hanging. One post I read suggested reinstalling the operating system on the Mac Mini, which I did. Now the machine boots up and asks me for a password, but when I enter what I was using before, the login fails.

I've tried EVERYTHING to make my Mini operate again. I've put the Leopard install DVD in the optical drive and restarted the machine while holding various keys down, including "C;" "D;" and the "option" key. I've also pressed various combinations of keys during reboot, but nothing changes. I always just get the password window, but I have no idea what password will work. I can enter passwords, so I know the keyboard works, it's just that I can't boot from the disc or get past the &*($W password screen.

Any thoughts? Are there any "magic" command key operations that will free my Mini from the clutches of whatever has grabbed it?

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Is this a new iMac, or did you purchase secondhand? What password screen is it taking you to? Is it a standard login screen or is there an Open Firmware password set?

3. tjb1, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2011

tjb1 macrumors 68000

Sounds like the Firmware Password.

Try this, I dont know if ram is easily accessed in the mini, but remove 1 stick of ram from it. Immediately on starting it, hold COMMAND-OPTION-P-R until you get a second startup beep(PRAM Reset) after that boot completes, shut down and put the other ram stick in.

This should disable the firmware password for you.

Here is a link on how to change ram - http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/07/18/mac-mini-ram-upgrade-tutorial/

4. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

This, but keep holding COMMAND-OPTION-P-R until it's chimed three times. That's what I always see recommended.

5. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Its two times...

Resetting PRAM and NVRAM

1. Shut down the computer.

2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.

3. Turn on the computer.

4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

6. Release the keys.

Taken from http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379