Boot PowerPC Mac from Intel Mac through USB

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jhead476, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Jhead476 macrumors newbie

I have a old PowerPC 12 inch power that stoped working on me. I have had this happen to me before and all I had to do was put in the install disk and do a archive and install. Unfrotuntilly the CD drive dosent want to work for me and keeps spitting the disk out. Also the firewire port hasent been working for a long time. So I wondering if I could hook up my 12inch powerbook to my 15inch macbook pro through usb and use the disk drive on the macbook pro to boot the disk for the powerbook. The power book is running on 10.3.9 and my macbook pro is 10.5.4. I dont really want to pay to get the powerbook fixed as all I need it for is just using the internet while traveling. If anyone knows if this can work or any other options let me know. Thanks :confused:

2. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Nope, not possible. First, I'd be challenged to find a USB cable that would have two male connections. Secondly, the MacBook Pro won't share it's disc drive. Third, if you were to somehow be able to connect the two and get the disc drive to work, it would have to go through the MacBook Pro as an OS install, so with an older OS it won't work because PPC code doesn't run on Intel and the MacBook Pro would install the OS for itself on the PowerBook, not the correct code for it. Your best bet is to get an external disc drive and see if you can get it to work with your firewire port.