Boot problem , not showing hard drive

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Decembar29, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Decembar29 macrumors newbie

So I just bought an old powermac g4. When I first booted it, it had Tiger on it. But not knowing much about old macs it looked like it also had os9 on it cause I could choose to boot from a os9 folder. So without thinking I choosed to boot from it thinking it would boot into os9!
    But nope. All I get now when I try to start it is a grey screen with a small floppy disk icon with a flashing question mark on it!
    Then I used some restore cd (not from my mac) and erased my hard drive thinking I can boot somehow .Now I have nothing to boot from.
    When I start mac now I get question mark and the mac face flashing .
    I have tried to boot holding down alt, but no hard drive shows now
    I tried to boot it from OS X 10.0.3 cd (white with blue x) but that don't work.

Can anyone please help me with this?

2. ifrit05, Dec 26, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2013

ifrit05 macrumors regular

ifrit05

That flashing disk means there is no drive that is bootable, meaning you have NO operating systems installed.
    (You formatted the disk after all)

What kind of restore disc did you use an can you boot from the Restore disc?

If not, try resetting the NVRAM. Hold Option-Command-O-F (for a mac keyboard) or Windows-Alt-O-F (PC keyboard) while booting the machine (as SOON as you turn it on), it should boot into the open firmware.

From there type (without quotes)

"reset-nvram" and press "enter" then
    "reset-all" then press "enter" again.

The machine should reboot. Hold down the "C" key with the Restore disc in the CD drive or hold the "Option" key (Mac keyboard)/"Alt" key (PC) down to get to the different boot options. (it should boot from the CD automatically after you reset the NVRAM though).

Reseting the NVRAM is the Mac equivalent of resetting a PC's CMOS. You will loose the stored time and date, sound volume, and the default boot drive.