Boot problem with iMac 2011

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Hecro, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Hecro macrumors member

My buddy and I have two identical iMac 2011 27" i7 with the 2GB graphiccard and SSD. The problem is that my iMac are extremely slow in the bootup phase compared to my buddys. His POSTs and bootup is done within a 1min where mine takes atleast 4-5min.

The first grey screen - where there are no loading circle or other icons are is where it really stalls - this part takes atleast 4min where his machine takes about 10secs to do the POST.

I have tried searching for a firmware restoration for 12,2, but with no luck
    I have reset the PRAM several times with no change.

The other weird thing is that on my buddies machine it shows the external firewire drive as a possible drive to boot from, but on my machine it doesn't.
    I have a totally fresh installation of Lion 10.7.2 and it's 100% updated with the newest firmware and software updates.

I would greatly appreciate any ideas to solve my problem. It's very annoying as I often have to reboot to bootcamp Windows 7, which should take 2min but takes the better part of 5-6min. When the machine is actually booted up it just as fast as my buddy's machine.

The only difference is that I by mistake ran Trim Enabler on 10.6.8 to enable trim service. This gave me alot of beachballs, so I reverted back to the original settings/drivers.

2. black86capri50 macrumors newbie

I have a similar issue with 2 iMacs that are right next to each other on the same desk. One is a 2010 27" and one is a 2011 27".

The 2011 boots MUCH slower. The reason for this I have found is that the 2011 has a coupe of external firewire drives, and it tries to boot from each of them before it boots from the internal hard drive.

3. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

system preferences>start up disk>click on your start up disk>restart

times should improve

----------

im not quite sure as the problem for yours is maybe try the same as above and choose your startup disk

4. esmith macrumors member

Are they both using the same hard drive?

IE: Western Digital ? Seagate ?

5. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Have you performed a PRAM / SMC reset on the unit? Verified the hdd is ok? Have you run AHT on the unit? ( apple hardware test ) press and hold D when you turn it on should load AHT, if not put in your os x dvd and hold D let it boot from it.

6. Hecro thread starter macrumors member

- AHT is done, no problems found.
    - system preferences>start up disk>click on your start up disk>restart. Tried that, same result.
    - For resetting SMC I have only found this guide: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964 - same issue still.
    - I have followed this guide for the reset of PRAM: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379
    - We both have the same OCZ vertex 3 disk. I just upgraded to a 240gb, but it was the same before.

7. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Have you reinstalled the operating system? did you manage to perform a PRAM reset on it?

8. Hecro thread starter macrumors member

Yes, the install is completely fresh - but it shouldn't say anything as the hang time is during the POST phase and not the boot phase.

Yes the PRAM has been reset several times, still no luck :/