Boot Problem

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ZeD X, Jun 7, 2011.

1. ZeD X macrumors regular

I am having some problem with my iMac.

The problem is the following: I can boot the system, and use it. If I shutdown and wait some time and then turn it on again, it will not boot. I need to remove the memory and change with other form other slot to it boot again.

No matter what memory I put on it, I get the same problem: The first time boot perfectly, then if it stays shutdown for some minutes, I need to change the ram from bank1/dimm0 with another.

Does anyone know what problem is this? How I can solve it?

2. ZeD X thread starter macrumors regular

No one know what it can be?

There's a way to force the memories to pass in the hardware check?

3. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Where is the additional RAM from and what are the specs? It's hard to judge the error based on the information you've given.

Have you tried just booting it with the Stock RAM alone, they should be in the top bay. You could also have a startup disk problem, try resetting your PRAM here.

4. ZeD X thread starter macrumors regular

This problem started when I replaced the memories, and still now after I have back the stock memories, so, it is not the problem. Also I ran memtest on them and they are fine.

They works great on my macbook.

5. ZeD X thread starter macrumors regular

Actually looks like I can boot with 8gb ram (2x4gb), if I put the memory in the same memory bank. I can shutdown and turn it on again without any problems.

But if I put 4 memories, it turns on only the first time. When I shut down I need to remove a pair of memory and exchange the memory location, or it doesn't works.

6. ZeD X thread starter macrumors regular

I tried it once and did not worked. Them I reseted SMS and again did not worked, and I tried it some more times, and I am not sure it, but seems to worked.

Thank you. I will inform later if the problem persists, or not

Sorry for the multiple posts.

7. ZeD X thread starter macrumors regular

It did not worked 100%, but worked a bit.

Today when I turn on my computer I get beeps for the memory. I turn off and on again and it worked. Before I didn't get beeps, only don't get on.

Ideas?

8. bossxii macrumors 68000

Not sure I have an answer for you yet, but you situation sounds like mine. I just purchased a 2010 model 27" iMac i3 and brought it home. It started up fine, ran for about an hour as I installed the updated and such. I shut the system down as I need to move my desk now that I don't' have a huge tower on the floor.

Anyway, went to start it back up and it hung on the grey startup with the Apple logo. I tried again after about 5 mins of the icon spinning below the icon. Then I tried to insert the start up disk, holding the Option down, no go. Tried holding the shift key to boot to safe mode and still nothing. I called Applecare and went thru all the above listed start ups, no luck so today I have a 5:30 appt at the local store.

I did get it to boot once about an hour later by removing a ram chip as I read online similar issues. This actually worked for about 10 mins. The system booted, I was able to use the HDD and programs but with the Airport on, connected to my wifi router no internet. Went thru setup and while my iPad and laptop had connectivity as they have always had could not get the iMac to hook up. I let the "diagnostics" go through it's troubleshooting to which it had me reset all my gear, which I did, knowing that likely wasn't the cause. No go, so via the menu system rebooted... hang... no go since.

I gave up after that and just left it in the hang state so the Apple folks can see the issue.

While on the phone with AC they did have me go to the command prompt and try to run a few HDD tests and such, to which it failed. The CS person indicated it is more than a HDD issue if the tests he had me run were failing so hopefully they can figure it out or swap for a new machine.

I'll update with any useful info, if they actually fix it vs replace.

9. ZeD X thread starter macrumors regular

It is not an HDD issue, at least for me.

I have an SSD on my iMac, and an HDD.

Both are brand new.

10. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Its hard to judge what your problem is without the specs of the additional RAM. It could be causing compatibility issues in OSX.

11. ZeD X thread starter macrumors regular

No man, this problem is with stock memory too.

But begin after I replaced it.

12. bossxii macrumors 68000

My issues ended up being the HDD and/or Temp sensor. They just swapped out the iMac and are going to deal with the issue.

Good luck with yours!