Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ClassyBastard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
A cydia download was corrupted, now I can't boot tethered, nor complete a back-up for a iTunes restore. If anyone knows how to fix this, please let me know immediately. I can't even access the SSH, so again, if you know how to circumvent this, let me know.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Jailbreaking has its many benefits, but there’s always a risk that installing a certain tweak or app from Cydia will cause something in iOS to go haywire. It doesn’t happen often, but when it does, you want to be able to fix the problem without having to restore and lose your jailbreak.

Luckily, there’s a relatively easy way to troubleshoot your jailbroken iOS device and find out the exact tweak that’s causing the problem.

MobileSubstrate is kind of like the backbone of a jailbroken iPhone or iPad. It’s the framework developers use to hook in extensions and tweaks you install from Cydia. In a recent update, the creator of Cydia, Jay ‘saurik’ Freeman, added a nice new feature that makes it easy to troubleshoot:

You can now disable Substrate entirely by holding down Volume Up as the device boots.

This feature allows you to bypass horribly broken extensions (ones that prevent the device from starting up at all) that you may have installed so you can open Cydia and uninstall them.
So start up your iphone and keep holding down the volume up key untill the iphone boots up. Then remove the last app/tweak you installed.

ClassyBastard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
Okay, and for clarification, I hold down the volume up button as I'm starting it in general or trying to boot tethered?

Also, strangely enough, a normal AppStore update caused some sort of file corruption.

ClassyBastard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
Thanks for the advice, either way though didn't work for me, so I ended up having to restore. Now I can't jailbreak it again though, anyone got a fix for the following attachment?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    33.6 KB · Views: 80

ClassyBastard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
Could have done without the sarcasm or condescending tone, but the help is appreciated. Thank you very much.

ClassyBastard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
Also, I followed the steps in tutorial, but now when its uploading the ramdisk, and installing, I'm getting a repeating "Please wait......" message.

Finally got it JB'd but I can't text after a tethered boot, but I can view pics and videos sent to me. On a normal startup I can text, but can't view pics or videos received or sent in iMessage or text. I've done a google search on the issue, found nothing, read the top 5 threads, and again found nothing on the matter. Any ideas on how to fix it?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.