Boot time Comparison - El Capitan vs Windows 10

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by Retromac2008, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Retromac2008 macrumors regular

Retromac2008

Some pple said w10 is faster than El Capitan on their new macs, can you add your report with your mac?

Comparison Windows 10 vs El Capitan
    (clean install - 100% empty computer)

Can someone with a new mac add his report ?

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Windows 10 boot up comparisons with OS X are moot, because Windows 8.1/10 goes into an extended hibernate mode when shutting down, rather than completely shutting down as Win 7/OS X does.

3. Retromac2008 thread starter macrumors regular

Retromac2008

Anyway life is not fair and you have to compare em every time you turn on your laptop

:(

:apple:

4. KALLT macrumors 601

I don’t see anything unusual… Both take less than one minute. The Windows desktop looks fairly standard as well, no programs that need to be loaded upon boot. OS X slows down a lot when it needs to reopen previous applications with the Resume feature.

I actually never reboot my devices anymore, unless I have to (Windows does need to be rebooted quite a lot due to updates).

5. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

Same here. Never reboot unless I have to. Just close the lid when I'm done.

6. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

There's no real valid reason to shut down your laptop, just close the lid and quickly resume when you need to use it again.

7. Sabretooth78, Oct 21, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2015

Sabretooth78 macrumors member

Sabretooth78

Meh, not any more. Used to be back in the Leopard/Snow Leopard days (and maybe a few times with Mountain Lion) I could leave the thing running between reboots sometimes as long as a month. Nowadays (running Mavericks; don't even get me started on Yosemite), I can't do that without seeing a very real drop in performance. I also have a MacMini which I will leave running for weeks at a time and when it needs to be restarted, you can tell. It literally will take a full minute or more just to pop up the dialog box after selecting "restart". And this is after spending most of that time just filling the role of time machine/server.

All in all it's one of several trends in OS X that is reminiscent of what I had to deal with before I finally made the decision to ditch Windows.

8. dmrowley macrumors 6502

dmrowley

Next up, a comparison of the 0 to 60mph acceleration between a Toyota Prius and a Porsche 911 Carrera...

Just as valid :)

9. Retromac2008, Oct 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2015

Retromac2008 thread starter macrumors regular

Retromac2008

not a joke, not funny and a little wrong :(

Your argument is valid but it s not the main point.
    The importance of boot-time is another subject, i was only asking to make a comparison between the 2 os if you have a recent mac :)

probably a faster boot it s useless, probably not ...

10. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

I've turned my rMBP on once since installing El Cap. I just shut the lid and let it sleep when not in use. It gets rebooted for OS X updates only.

Same with the Mac mini - it just sleeps when inactive. The only Mac I power down is the G5 because of the power consumption.

11. macduke Suspended

macduke

Pretty sure my over three year old rMBP takes under 15 seconds. Not sure about my fusion drive iMac at work. I reboot it every Monday and usually go to the bathroom or get breakfast started and don't have El Cap on it yet. Did the latest update fix Office 2016? Unfortunately I have to use that for Outlook, shared calendars, Lync, etc.

12. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

From a standard SSD in a Mac Pro.

Windows 10 in about 9-10 seconds.

OSX in about 12 seconds.

The only way to improve this is to use an hibernation file to boot from.

13. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

14. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

15. Fried Chicken macrumors 6502

Fried Chicken

The discussion is about boot times, not about whether booting is necessary or not. Holy ****.

Snow Leopard booted faster.

I miss snow leopard.

16. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

SL loaded about 900MB into memory on boot. El Cap loads 2GB.

17. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Holy irrelevant stats Batman?

Tell me then why are boot times important. I'm confident that over the timeframe of a couple of months the handful of seconds saved in boot times for the typical Mac user who uses sleep is infinitesimally small.

In fact it'll take at least a years worth of boots to save the time it's taken me to bash out this post.

18. Fried Chicken macrumors 6502

Fried Chicken

Again, the discussion is not whether boot times are relevant or not. And you're assessment is incorrect, I reboot constantly to switch to windows.

19. Thunderboltedge macrumors regular

Thunderboltedge

Very helpful comparison.
    I would make next series of mac vs pc ads based on it

20. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

I think they are irrelevant. Keep repeating ourselves will get no-one anywhere. ;)

21. Fried Chicken macrumors 6502

Fried Chicken

Very well.

I think your assessment is idiotic. I boot several times on a daily basis. Certain program installations require a reboot. Moving a computer that isn't a laptop requires a reboot. Updates require restarting of the computer.

How fast an operating system is able to start up is not only a question of convenience but sophistication of the OS itself.

22. cincygolfgrrl macrumors 6502

cincygolfgrrl

I think the one thing that could possibly, just maybe, might be agreed upon is that YMMV. For those who need to reboot occasionally or frequently, I think anything around 30 seconds is incredible compared to where we were just a few years ago.

I can start working on my iMac about 30 seconds after pushing the start button (assuming I'm sitting there, ready to insert my password). More critical, I think, is response time for the next eight hours.

23. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

No need to resort to insults.