Boot time doubled with Lion, anyone else noticed that

TheJing

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 13, 2011
Somewhere in Europe
My boot time seems to have almost doubled since I installed Lion. Is anyone else experiencing that?

I also just noticed that when opening the lid to "wake the computer up" it takes a few seconds before the screen turns on. On Leopard it turned on instantly when I opened the lid.

These are not big issues, of course, but kind of annoying when you are used to have a computer that does those things really fast.

No apps open or anything.

Macbook Pro 13" 11 2.3Ghz i5.

Before Lion: 31 sec Lion: 59 sec

Last edited:

MasterHowl

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
North of England
My boot time seems to have almost doubled since I installed Lion. Is anyone else experiencing that?
I haven't timed it, but it's definitely not as fast as is was on Snow Leopard!

Not complaining though, I chose to install Lion when it was version 10.7.0, so I knew there would be performance issues and bugs! If it's still like this by version 10.7.4, I'll be mad...

Comment

nick123222

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2009
Poole, Dorset, United Kingdom
Haven't tested mine, but for an easy way to time it, count how many times the little spinning wheel rotates as it rotates once a second. Then just add 5-10 seconds for the time before the wheel appearing. I use this almost every time I boot as a quick check to see if it is slower than normal. :)

Comment

TheJing

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 13, 2011
Somewhere in Europe
Haven't tested mine, but for an easy way to time it, count how many times the little spinning wheel rotates as it rotates once a second. Then just add 5-10 seconds for the time before the wheel appearing. I use this almost every time I boot as a quick check to see if it is slower than normal. :)
I just use my iPhone's stopwatch that way it's accurate. I didn't even know that wheel was rotating once a second.

Comment

ww1971

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2011
It depends on how much RAM the system has plus there could be other factors. Maybe some people upgraded from Snow Leopard 32 bit to Lion. Given that Lion is 64 bit only a performance hit is expected because 64 bit software is more demanding than 32 bit software on computers with 2 gb RAM.

Comment

SXR

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2007
Netherlands
I haven't really noticed it at all. I think boot time is around the same what it was with Snow Leopard. Could it be the machine of the OP has relatively low specs? Although Lion should run fine with 2 GB RAM

Comment

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
Did you guys simply upgrade or did you start from scratch e.g. clean install?

Comment

eternalife

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2011
a bit longer for me and when it finally comes up the wifi doesn't work. I have to recycle the wifi before it will work.

Comment

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
Mines almost 3 times longer on my 09 mbp....

Spinning wheel used to go to around 9 spins then i would be at my desktop in snow leopard.

In lion the wheel spins 32 times before getting to the desktop...

Comment

pedrofan

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
1min 20 seconds with lion.... 16 SECONDS WITH SNOW LEOPARD.. It has increased for over a minute!!

(I'm using a 480gb OCZ vertex 3)

Comment

henry72

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009
New Zealand
From my experience , this is normal. It happens after I updated the software or installed some new software.

What you need to do is sit and wait. Try to restart your Mac after an hour later and see if it is faster. Repair permission will help as well :D

PS: I notice that when I upgraded my Mac from 10.5.8 to 10.6. It was so slow but after a while, is actually faster than 10.5.8 ;)

Just wait and don't worry about it

Comment

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
I restart my lion :)p) everyday now as I leave my computer in the office.

The boot time has been halved I should say; you need to get that checked from the Apple Store.

Can you please post:

- the number of applications open when you shutdown

?

Comment

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
I'm on a MacPro with an SSD for boot. On SL I could boot in around 10 seconds from hitting the power button.

Lion takes 32 seconds on the same machine.

Comment

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Seems the same to me, though i'm on an SSD. I've noticed it boots a lot slower if you choose to have lion leave your apps open when you reboot.

Comment

SXR

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2007
Netherlands
Seems the same to me, though i'm on an SSD. I've noticed it boots a lot slower if you choose to have lion leave your apps open when you reboot.
In my case, it does boot pretty quick into the desktop - but then the apps take a couple seconds to load.

Comment

lomby

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2011
Australia
I have a 15" 2.2 Ghz Quad core i7 Macbook Pro and lion takes 38 secs to boot up and 6 secs to turn off. :eek: I know i chose to get it at 10.7.0 on release and it has bugs. to me it has been very stable and am very pleased but there is nothing to complain about, I'm just thankful i have it :D i upgraded over Snow leopard just in case people wanted to know :)
:apple:

Updates hopefully should fix this soon :apple:

Comment