Boot time increased from 27 to 50 sec?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by smeg36, Jun 15, 2011.

1. smeg36 macrumors regular

I have an odd one that I can't figure out. I don't reboot often. I had an Intel X25 SSD, and the boot time was 15 seconds. Fantastic. I decided I was tired of constant space management, and got a WD Scorpio Black 500GB. I restored from Time Machine, and my boot time was around 27 seconds. I can live with that.

The last time I rebooted was around a week ago. I just upgraded from a 13" to a 15" MacBook Pro today. As I was getting everything ready to swap the HD from the 13" I noticed the boot time was significantly slower. I clocked it at 40 seconds. Then I swapped the HD from the 13" to the 15", and it is now at 50 seconds. I did a PRAM reset, SMC reset, and repaired disk permissions. I still have 280GB of available space on the HD, so I'm not running low on space. I only have 3 things on my Desktop. In the past week I haven't made any significant changes to the OS that I can think of. Installed a couple things, uninstalled a couple things. Nothings major. Any ideas why my boot time would have gone up so much, and what I can check to try and get it back down? Thanks.

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

It's possible your kernel extension cache is stale. In the terminal, run this command:

Code:
    sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
    After a few minutes, OS X will have finished rebuilding the extension cache for your machine, and this should improve your boot times.

If the extension cache is stale, then the system has to search through all the extensions in order to find the correct drivers for your machine, and this takes longer.

3. imorton macrumors 6502

I typed the "command" in Terminal, and I was going to enter my password, but can this damage/delete or cause any problems....?

4. smeg36 thread starter macrumors regular

That seemed to have helped some, thanks for the suggestion. I'm now hovering back around the 40 second mark.

5. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Only on MR does a 10 second difference in boot time matter :cool:

6. smeg36 thread starter macrumors regular

So true. Especially when I only reboot about once a week on average. But I'm wondering if my boot time suddenly increased, maybe my whole system is running slower too.