Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

potatis

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 9, 2006
My 2012 mac mini with a Samsung SSD seemed to boot to Mountain Lion in a second - you hardly could see the boot screen. But my 2014 mini with PCIe SSD seems to boot just as slow as my 2010 mini with Samsung SSD. Is Yosemite / El Capitan much slower in boot time or is it because of something else?

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
Who really cares about boot time? Or time taken to open an app, for that matter.

My early 2009 Mini with the original 120 GB HDD 5 GB RAM and Mountain Lion installed, is usually on 24/7. The apps I use frequently are usually open. It takes a moment to wake from sleep, and main apps I use are adequately fast to work with.

Yes, it did take a minute or so to boot this morning when I took it to work and used it with an LCD projector, but during that time I was preparing other things.

Yes, it did take a minute or so to boot after the minute or so it took to set up again when I got back home, but I had other things to do then too.

I have other things to do besides waiting around to see how long a computer takes to boot, no matter how long it takes.

Reactions: jpietrzak8
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.