Boot time with different Mac mini's

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by potatis, Nov 5, 2015.

1. potatis macrumors 6502a

potatis

My 2012 mac mini with a Samsung SSD seemed to boot to Mountain Lion in a second - you hardly could see the boot screen. But my 2014 mini with PCIe SSD seems to boot just as slow as my 2010 mini with Samsung SSD. Is Yosemite / El Capitan much slower in boot time or is it because of something else?

2. Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

Who really cares about boot time? Or time taken to open an app, for that matter.

My early 2009 Mini with the original 120 GB HDD 5 GB RAM and Mountain Lion installed, is usually on 24/7. The apps I use frequently are usually open. It takes a moment to wake from sleep, and main apps I use are adequately fast to work with.

Yes, it did take a minute or so to boot this morning when I took it to work and used it with an LCD projector, but during that time I was preparing other things.

Yes, it did take a minute or so to boot after the minute or so it took to set up again when I got back home, but I had other things to do then too.

I have other things to do besides waiting around to see how long a computer takes to boot, no matter how long it takes.

3. iceman42 macrumors regular

since i upgraded my 2014 mac mini to 10.11 my boot time is under 1 minute