Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ptheo27

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2008
Canada
When i first got my iMac around May (witch was my first mac) i was impressed on how fast the boot time was. A few months down the road i suddenly took into account that it was taking longer for my iMac to boot up. Now its November and i have noticed a dramatic change in my iMacs boot time from when i first got it (may) to now (november). I fix disk permissions, and use Onyx on an average of once a week and i still don't really notice a difference. My iMac takes around 40-45 seconds to boot into my login screen. Your boot time is not a big deal i assume, but it just gets a little frustrating waiting around considering i am a VERY VERY impatient human being haha. If there is any tips out there to shorten my boot time please feel free to comment, don't be afraid to brag about your boot time to :)

Thanks
Peter
:apple:

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
You've added personal files and applications, I assume. In short, you're using more of your hard drive, yes?

Just delete everything personal on your computer. That'll speed it up. That's the reason it's "slowing down".

ptheo27

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2008
Canada
Im not looking to delete all my personal stuff, i mean you shouldn't have to just to speed up your boot time. I am sure there is a way to keep your files and still have fast boot time.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Instead of shutting it down, put it to sleep. If you must shut it down, boot it up and then go do something else, instead of watching it.

If you have multiple drives connected, it'll be slower since it searches each one for a valid boot disk.

One thing to improve the speed is buy a faster hard drive (10,000 RPM).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.