Boot times: SSD is super fast!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by LTX, Jan 8, 2009.

1. LTX macrumors regular

LTX

I recently got my 32GB Patriot SSD for my Macbook. This thing is amazing to boot. Counting from hitting enter at the OS selection screen, I see the Apple logo screen for a mere 4 seconds before it starts the login procedure (autologin enabled). 9 seconds later, I'm at my desktop and my startup apps are done launching. Everything is ready to go. 13 seconds from on to idle. WOW. My friend's aluminum Macbook takes about 30 seconds.

This is one of the reasons you might want an SSD :)

Anyone else want to share their boot times?

2. umgoblue2008 macrumors regular

umgoblue2008

my 1.86ghz/128gb SSD Macbook Air boots OSX in about 25-30 seconds, and 50ish for Windows XP

3. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

That's pretty impressive. I wonder if Snow Leopard will shave off a few more seconds.

4. Chrisrokc macrumors regular

That is fast! Can't wait till SSD becomes main stream. I just recently upgraded my macbooks hd to a 7200rpm one. Would have done an SSD but they cost way too much for the size i wanted.

5. Horst Guest

Don't mean to be an arse, but what's the point of a fast boot-up ?

Especially since with a 32GB MB drive, all your data needs to go external (USB even ?) and will make your MB superslow for almost anything .

6. Sehnsucht macrumors 65816

SSDs don't just speed up boot times...files and programs open faster as well. Somebody put links up to a video of his MacBook with a SSD...it was totally awesome. :D