Boot times...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Killerbob, May 14, 2012.

1. Killerbob macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I have an early 2008 MP, the 2x2.8GHz Quad model, but it has served me well, and I have upgraded the RAM to 16GB and the HD to an SSD. Hence, it is still a respectable performer, and as I install OSX from scratch when a new version comes out, it never really falls flat. Boot times has also always been good, with the Apple screen appearing 7 seconds from cold start, and the login screen in about 13 seconds later.

However, the last days I have noticed a significant slow down in these boot times, with the Apple screen taking at least 15 seconds to appear, and the login screen around 20 seconds later:confused:

It doesn’t seem like much, but it is obviously a big change, and I wonder why. Any ideas?

/Bo

2. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

CMD/OPT/P/R
    Reset the PRAM

3. Killerbob thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I reset the PRAM, and forgot I had to go into boot-menu after doing that. So, spend 5 minutes figuring out how to get it to boot off the SSD:rolleyes:

Anyways, the PRAM reset didn't affect the boot time, and it is still much slower than it used to be. Nothing has changed, I still have the same HW inside the MP and the same things attached, so I can't explain the change. I have installed software, but that shouldn't affect the boot up until the login screen.

/Bo

4. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Then resert the SMC at the same, though it shouyldn't have anything to do with it.

Anytime I bump up RAM it always slows boot, until I reset the PRAM and SMC.

5. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

6. Killerbob thread starter macrumors 6502a

I reset the SMC as well already.

As for upgrading to 10.7.4, the slowdown started before it was released last week.

As for SW I have installed, it is only normal upgrades. I use MacUpdate weekly, so it's all fairly updated.

/Bo