Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jon10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2015
Greetings, I’m in a spot of bother with my Mac Book Pro mid 2010, and I was hoping someone out there might be able to offer some insight.

My machines original battery had begun to only hold around 2 hours charge so I bought and installed this replacement battery after reading forum threads that generally suggested it was fine.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-rev...?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0

Unfortunately after a few weeks I noticed the replacement was holding the same amount of charge as the old battery and over the past six months has now diminished to barely holding any charge, forcing me to work whilst tethered to the power adapter.

The machine now won’t boot up past the opening apple logo, constantly displaying the boot up wheel, even though it is being powered by the adaptor and the adaptor is working fine.

My initial thought was it simply needs another replacement battery as the one i bought was a dud, but I wondered whether there might be something else causing an issue? Only because my replacement was showing identical levels of charge as the battery id replaced and it now wont boot up even though it’s powered through the adapter?

So my questions would be ;

Firstly, any thoughts?

Secondly, has anyone else had similar issues with this particulate replacement?

And thirdly, I’ve read that allowing the battery to regularly run down to cut out can effect hardware, is it possible I may have done other damage?

My huge thanks for any advice anyone may be able offer.

Jon

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Greetings, I’m in a spot of bother with my Mac Book Pro mid 2010, and I was hoping someone out there might be able to offer some insight.

My machines original battery had begun to only hold around 2 hours charge so I bought and installed this replacement battery after reading forum threads that generally suggested it was fine.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-rev...?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0

Unfortunately after a few weeks I noticed the replacement was holding the same amount of charge as the old battery and over the past six months has now diminished to barely holding any charge, forcing me to work whilst tethered to the power adapter.

The machine now won’t boot up past the opening apple logo, constantly displaying the boot up wheel, even though it is being powered by the adaptor and the adaptor is working fine.

My initial thought was it simply needs another replacement battery as the one i bought was a dud, but I wondered whether there might be something else causing an issue? Only because my replacement was showing identical levels of charge as the battery id replaced and it now wont boot up even though it’s powered through the adapter?

So my questions would be ;

Firstly, any thoughts?

Secondly, has anyone else had similar issues with this particulate replacement?

And thirdly, I’ve read that allowing the battery to regularly run down to cut out can effect hardware, is it possible I may have done other damage?

My huge thanks for any advice anyone may be able offer.

Jon

Firstly some apple laptops won't power on unless the battery is working, yours is most likely one of those.

Secondly any apple battey bought online runs the risk of being a fake, that one did get good reviews in general but 6 people insisted they got a fake nothing to say the supplier didn't get a bad batch of fakes themselves.

It is unlikely that letting the battery discharge has damaged your laptop, however it is possible.

Ifixit are the only people I know online that can get you a guaranteed OEM replacement but iFixit EU does charge 100 euros and the postage and packaging won't be that cheap.

Maybe try a third party apple certified service centre there are a fair few around britain ask for a quote to replace it. Or take it into an apple store and speak to a "genius and see what they suggest.

jon10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2015
Samuelsan and Pastry huge thanks for your help with this.
Hmmm kinda in two minds now as to what the issue maybe as technically I suppose it should boot up even if the battery were dead if powered via the adapter. My concerns deepen.

Again my great thanks.

Jon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.