Boot up problem - questque c'est Bonjour Service?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tobyleeming, Feb 13, 2009.

1. tobyleeming macrumors newbie

Hi All,

Hope you can help me. and also I have a little riddle, or quirk that I do not understand

THE PROBLEM - booting up

I have a powerbook G4 12", running OSX 14.11. Recently I tried booting up and the computer hung up on the apple screen with the loading symbol. Reboots did nothing.

1, I tried zpaaing the pram to no avail, no difference.

2, I put in the cd and booted from that. I then ran the disk utility tool. It found errors and then said it could not fix them.

3, I therefore booted up in single user mode and ran the diagnostic/ fix tool there and it solved the problem, so that now when booting up off cd the disk utility tool finds no problem.

4, Now the computer still will not boot, when in single user mode and trying to boot the computer gets to Bonjour Service 0 and hangs.

Can anyone help with this, what do I do next.

I have rather a lot of data I need to recover, I can do this through the firewire tool but would rather not. I can't do a an install that saves my data as I only have 2.2GB spare on the Hard disk.

2 - THE RIDDLE, WEIRD SIDE PRODUCT

My mac was bough off a friend. It had a dent in the chassis where the adapter attaches and for some reason would not apparently charge or run off battery. I replaced the battery but it made no difference. The OS detects a battery sometimes and sometimes suggests it is charging but never gets beyond 0%. I gave up on running it off battery.

When running the computer off disk I booted up and then the power came unplugged unbeknown to me. However it ran without power fine. So now (bear in mind I havent yet suceeded in booting up on the HD) it can in theory run off the battery.

What is going on, can anyone suggest what this means the fault with the computer is and what would I need to do to solve it

Thanks in advance for your help

cheers

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

If disk utility can't fix the problems, you will probably need to do an erase & install. Backup is possible if you have another Mac you can connect to via FireWire. Drag over your crucial files, wipe out the MacBook data and transfer your files back over after installation is complete. If the erase & install is not successful its probably a bad hard drive.