boot up time in winxp(via bootcamp)

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by charlesbronsen, Nov 26, 2008.

1. charlesbronsen macrumors 6502a

charlesbronsen

i have installed winxp thru bootcamp and it seems to take 5 times longer to for winxp to sart up as opposed to os x. It boots into to operating system pretty quick but seems to take forever to load all the drivers and the computer is unresponsive for a few mins. Anyone else run into this?
    thx

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

3. charlesbronsen thread starter macrumors 6502a

charlesbronsen

I've never had a pc take this long to load windows... So, Uhhh no that's not how windows works...
    I'm thinking it's all the bootcamp drivers loading and in that case everyone would have this problem not just me... either way it's not a huge deal but it wold be nice if I didn't have to wait so long for the thing to completly boot up.

4. gimmeagoodname macrumors newbie

Wow, if that's the case then how many drivers you have installed? Or you mean the original drivers from OSX CD 1?

FYI, my XP on Bootcamp boots up much faster than it does on my old Compaq, haha.

Have you fixed it though? Just wanted to know if I ever reformat my Bootcamp and run into this.

5. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

6. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

From my limited knowledge, i always assumed there was a double post. Once for the EFI firmware, and once for the BIOS emulation.

Also, the bootcamp drivers are crap. that's not secret.

You could always try backing up the bootcamp partition (http://twocanoes.com/winclone/), then reinstalling XP, to see if that helps any.

7. ZMacintosh macrumors 6502a

ZMacintosh

the Bootcamp drivers are fine.

it has to load all the hardware devices to read to them aswell.

if you have airport, bluetooth, any of the temp sensors and other onboard hardware, it takes it some time ot get that info on them so the system can load properly.

my XP boot time takes about 20seconds through the loading screen and an additional 25seconds to get the actual loaded desktop.

probably need to do a clean install and limit all the stuff you install.