Boot up time slow

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by horatiub, Jan 6, 2017.

1. horatiub macrumors newbie

I just noticed on my new MBP 13" TB that the boot up time is significantly slower than the previous MBP, despite having a faster SSD and more RAM. It's quick to get to the login screen, but from there, it takes more than 10 seconds for the OS X to appear.

I've already reinstalled Mac OS twice and started off clean, without importing anything.

Any suggestions?

2. Kjung7 macrumors 6502

I have noticed this too. I'm hoping it's because mine is still indexing all my files. I hope it gets faster.

3. horatiub thread starter macrumors newbie

Mine finished indexing a long time ago. Still slow

4. Cache macrumors regular

I've noticed the same. It's not a dealbreaker by any means, but my 2011 mbp with a samsung 830 ssd in it boots faster... though that one is still running yosemite. Might be sierra that needs to load more stuff?

5. horatiub thread starter macrumors newbie

Could be, I don't see any other explanation. Was used to the quick boot times before.

6. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Do you have FileVault turned on? If so, it takes several more seconds to get to the main screen.

7. horatiub thread starter macrumors newbie

I do. That might be the difference.

8. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

More than likely, the FV decrypting bar taking a little longer is what you are seeing. Sometimes, 4 seconds or so can seem like 30.