Boot using external keyboard?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by adam.misst, Mar 15, 2011.

1. adam.misst macrumors newbie

Hi there,

New here, so bare with me if I don't get the right words out at first!!

I have a macbook which I'm trying to reset to factory settings, everything is fine apart from the letters p and u are broken on my keyboard.

So when I hold ctrl+s on startup and begin typing commands i can't fully type some of them due to these letters being broken on the keyboard.

My question is-
    1. can i use an external keyboard for typing commands into the boot screen and how would I go about this? is there a certain command that would enable a wireless keyboard for example?
    2. are there any other commands I can use that don't require the letter 'u' 'p' to reset the laptop back to factory settings?

Thanks in advance - Ad.

2. msjones macrumors 6502

msjones

there is not factory restore like you would find on say a dell or acer machine. You need to boot from an OS X install DVD. This is essentially factory. You should have one with your mac. If not you can purchase OS X 10.6 cheap direct from apple.

You can use an external keyboard to boot your macbook. To boot from the install CD press and hold the 'C' key when you hear the startup chime.

On a final note, make sure all your files are backed up before you restore :)