Boot with option key gives no Windows icon

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Hatchet65, May 29, 2008.

1. Hatchet65 macrumors newbie

Okay guys. I have searched high and low for this one. I updated Leopard on my Macbook and used Bootcamp to partition 20 GB for Windows XP. Used a sp2 disc and got a good install that works great. Only problem is that when I boot and press option the only choice I am given is Macintosh HD. Never Windows. It doesn't matter if I am booting from a Windows or Mac shutdown.

In other words if I want to use Windows i have to go into system prefs-->startup disc-->choose windows and restart.

I have deleted and reinstalled the partition and still the same. I have followed the instructions verbatim. I called Apple and the only suggestion was to format a 32GB partition. That just doesn't make any sense. Suggestions please.

Thanks in advance,
    John

2. imac123 macrumors regular

my suggestion is pretty similar... if you haven't got many files/personalized settings set up yet, I would start over again and this time to 32 GB just to do what they recommended. but i dunno why it wouldnt detect it :confused:

you're saying u deleted and reinstalled... but if you did it w/ 20 GB then try 32 this time
    if that still doesnt work then i have NO idea what could be wrong... shouldnt be doing that either way of course

3. Hatchet65 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I took their illogical suggestion, allocated 32GB and I still only have Macintosh HD while pressing option on startup. I guess I will have to call Apple again since I have searched high and low and can't find anyone else with this problem. Since leopard was updated the other day, maybe it is a new issue.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Probably the formatting. I am guessing you are using FAT instead of the recommended NTFS.

Btw, there won't be a "windows icon". It'll just be the volume name, which will typically be "Untitled".

5. Hatchet65 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, it's part my fault and part their fault. I called Apple again and after a long hold was told that late year 07, 13 inch Macbooks had this as "expected behavior." After being given the runaround by the 32 GB guy, I said I needed more info. The techie I got said that was all the info that he had. We talked and I told him that I had updated to 10.5.3 before trying any of the partitions. I remembered in the Bootcamp instructions about upgrading firmware. I asked him if that was automatic in the OS upgrade and he said, "it should, but my computer should be up to date."

I asked him to check and he did and said that their was a recent firmware update for my pc, but not to expect it to solve my problem. Well, guess what, it did.

My fault for not checking into the firmware sooner. Thanks for all your suggestions!