Boot woes - Won't boot from Leopard - stuck in Tiger

Discussion in 'macOS' started by toddburch, Dec 4, 2008.

1. toddburch macrumors 6502a

A few months ago, while running Tiger on my mac pro, I installed a new additional hard drive and then installed Leopard on that new volume, calling it "Leopard".

The boot volume choice seemed to be a bit flaky the few times have rebooted while installing, but I went with the flow and didn't pay any attention to it.

Today, I installed a bunch of new software in this sequence:

On Leopard:
    • I installed Windows Office for OS X and two immediate subsequent software updates for that, bringing me up to 12.1.4
    • I did Software Update for OS X, bringing me up to 10.5.5
    I then had to restart. When my system rebooted, Tiger came up. (I wasn't quite paying attention). Then, I got a prompt for Software Update again, so I did that (for Tiger). I clued in that I was running Tiger (missing the obvious fact that my screen background was not Leopard.... duh), when I saw the Java 10.4, Version 7 update. Then, my Tiger BackUp kicked in, so that took a DVD write, and an Adobe Reader update. Phew.

So, then I go into Tiger System Preferences and set the boot volume to Leopard, and restart. Tiger comes up again. I go back into Tiger System Prefs and select Leopard to boot from, and this time I lock the preferences, and restart. No joy - Tiger comes back up. Each time it confirmed to me that it had selected Leopard as the boot drive.

So, I really liked Tiger, but now I'm stuck in it. What to do?

2. toddburch thread starter macrumors 6502a

Here's another factoid.

When I installed the new HD, I partitioned it into multiple volumes, names "Leopard", "Vista", "XP Pro" and "Other". My Tiger vol is just one big parition. In Tiger System Prefs, under Startup Disk, it only shows this:

Attached Files:

3. toddburch thread starter macrumors 6502a

I ended up using the Option key and was able to select and boot Leopard.

I'll investigate this more later.