Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rikers_mailbox

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 27, 2003
LA-la-land
Is it possible to make a bootable disk image my hard drive onto a external firewire drive?

I just want an image that I could boot into (aka selectable from the Startup Disk pref.) that's a duplicate of the current state of my PowerBook.

How can I do this?

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
edesignuk said:
I'd also like to chip in a vote to use SuperDuper! It really is super :D

i just did that for my switch from 10.3 to TIGER. Superduper works fast, reliable and its really easy to use. even I could do it (in fact i created a bootable partition on my firewire HD).

the best feature seems to be that you can update your bootable backup without copying the whole HD again. it just copies the files that have changed. that allows you to mirror your hd to an external drive on a daily basis. haven't test it yet but i will.

i think its worth the $20. but the bootable backup function alone is free.

andi

rikers_mailbox

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 27, 2003
LA-la-land
MarksEvilTwin said:
I haven't used the others mentioned, but I had great success with Carbon Copy Cloner. I used it for my move from 10.3 to 10.4, so that I could wipe my powerbook's drive and still have a bootable version of my old OS and files just in case. I had no problems with it, and recommend it.

Mark

Tell me more about this. . . I was thinking of doing the same thing.

So you created a CCC of your PB drive on an external drive, then clean installed Tiger. Then what? Can you use the migration assistant to move all the settings in you CCC backup to the new Tiger install?

TIA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.