Bootable backups and then what?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Lensclare, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Lensclare, Oct 28, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2015

Lensclare macrumors member

Lensclare

Hi, I'm about to do a bootable backup with trial version of intego manager pro with my LaCie d2 quadra ext. HD.

Once I've done the intial backup, do I use intego assistant to backup any changes I've made to my files?
    I do alot of photo editing so there will be changes, but I don't want to have to keep doing lengthy boot backups because I only have a 2.0 USB connection.
    I still need my backup to be bootable, with the file changes amended each time without spoiling the boot. ( If you know what I mean)

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I've never heard of "integral manager pro"
    Do you have a link to information about that?

There's better known software, such as Carbon Copy Cloner, which gives you a bootable backup.
    https://bombich.com

But, you already have automatic backup, with the built-in Time Machine (TM). Those are also bootable backups, and completely automatic - just plug in your external backup drive.
    That being said, TM is not always the best backup solution. That's why I also mentioned Carbon Copy Cloner.

3. Lensclare thread starter macrumors member

Lensclare

Sorry i mean't to say Intego Backup Manager pro, not integral (getting confused with memory sticks). My computer is low on RAM so time machines Backups are not bootable, I've tried this already. The integral software came with my LaCie.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

http://www.lacie.com/files/lacie-content/datasheet/intego_en.pdf

I'm not familiar with that backup software, but from this data sheet it appears it does do incremental backups, and that its what you want. Incremental backups only backup what is new or changed since the last backup. So poke around in the setting for the incremental backup option.

5. hiddenmarkov macrumors 6502a

If you have files changing that much it might be worthwhile to have them not in the bootable backup cycles and instead back up however they record changes in another kind of backup. Catalogue is what adobe calls it iirc in LR. You'd have to research your vendor(s) guides for what its called if not adobe, find its location, and backup that up in some way.

On restore in case of needing disaster recovery its then install OS, app, restore the back up "catalogue" to local drive (or whatever its called) and have app connect to it.

The reason for the separation is you hopefully isolate bulky data changes from your backups for OS system restore. The bulky stuff gets its own backup that splits it up a bit.

I do this as an analogy with a decent amount of parallels VM's I have on my MBP. TM backup does not see them (as I told it not to). If I ran other software...I'd tell them to please ignore as well. I back those up in a separate process. Schedule based on need for it. Because as soon I fire up a say 10 gb linux VM....the few changes I make just in logging my login alone will have TM say you need a full backup for mere kb's of changes to the VM. This needless to say killed my backup times. I just offset the VM bulk copies to some other time and get the recovery backup done much faster.

I just need my parallels to be restored for some configs on the app. I can drop in VM's later in case of rebuild the take away for my setup. Basically I trade off a faster recovery for a faster base system OS restore backup cycle.

Generally even on higher end enterprise backup systems you make this tradeoff even. My server farm's backup solution at work works like this. Lacking an uber budget I have a decent system all the same. Its main caveat I made in design is it backs up much faster than it restores. As I restore less than backup on average...its been a workable and fair tradeoff.

6. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Lensclare, others have recommended CarbonCopyCloner for creating cloned and fully-bootable backups.

Have you tried that yet?