Bootable Catalina usb installer

Discussion in 'macOS Catalina (10.15)' started by tywebb13, Jun 3, 2019.

1. tywebb13 macrumors 68020

To make the bootable usb installer for the first beta of Catalina, once downloaded to the Applications folder format a 16GB USB as HFS+ Journaled, call it Untitled and run this command in Terminal:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ 10.15\ Beta.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled

You can then boot up with option key and select the bootable usb.

It is likely the command will change when the second beta comes, maybe to

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina\ Beta.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled

with "10.15" replaced by "Catalina".

2. zorinlynx macrumors 603

zorinlynx

I am relieved to know this is still possible. Every OS release is suspenseful; "will they take this away?"

When you have to upgrade dozens of Macs this is practically a must.

3. toru173 macrumors 6502

I can confirm this works as expected and creates a valid installer. It briefly flashed up a screen reminiscent of the FileVault password recovery utility, then displayed the familiar installer

4. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

Now of course for those of us using other methods, I'm on the lookout for a bootable ISO once again. ;) Will have to see if the old instructions to convert the installer app are still applicable but I'm gonna bet some changes have been made yet once again, we'll find out soon enough.

5. LK LAW macrumors member

LK LAW

I work as a student at an apple premium reseller, with the amount of reinstalls I need to I hope they don't take it away..

6. tywebb13 thread starter macrumors 68020

My prediction about the changed command has come true with beta 2 now.

The reason I fairly confidently made that prediction is that this has become quite a regular thing going from beta 1 to beta 2 for several versions now.

The reason is beta 1 literally doesn’t have a name until the keynote at wwdc, but they want all the betas ready anyway for that event. So beta 1 is nameless. But by the time beta 2 comes it has a name.