BOOTABLE Data Recovery Software?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by giaviv, Aug 9, 2011.

1. giaviv macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I can't believe it, but I rm'd a file I need. Its a Python script I spent 7 hours writing and instead of running rm something else I ran rm on my script.

I shut down my Mac about 2 minutes after I did this (by holding the power button), so I file like there might still be hope for my file.

I got Disk Warrior and run its boot disk, but I only saw an option to rebuild the disk and that didn't yield anything productive.

Are there any good, bootable data recovery solutions? I need something bootable to not increase the chance of my file being overwritten.. Also, I know the exact name, path and some of the contents of my file, so a program that can recover files based on a path input would be amazing.

Thank you!

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"Are there any good, bootable data recovery solutions? I need something bootable to not increase the chance of my file being overwritten.. Also, I know the exact name, path and some of the contents of my file, so a program that can recover files based on a path input would be amazing."

There are numerous and good "data recovery" apps out there, but I don't know of any that are "bootable" -- that is, that they would come on a DVD with a System folder that you could boot the computer from.

You will need a "standalone", independently-bootable drive if you wish to boot the Mac you're on from a source other than itself.

Having said that, you will need an external drive ANYWAY, because data recovery apps need an external drive to serve as "scratch space" to which they can recover files.

If it's only ONE file you need to recover, you might be in luck insofar as the data recovery apps go. Most of them are "try, then buy" apps. That means you can download the app for free, for test purposes. They usually give you the option of recovering A SINGLE FILE, and if you want to recover more files you then pay the registration fee and the program unlocks for you to do so.

But since you only need to retrieve one file, you can probably download and try several of these apps, and if only one works for you, you're "in" without having to register the program.

No matter how you slice it, however, you're STILL going to need an external drive as a "boot and scratch" volume.

3. Adanyuan macrumors newbie

Ye,,,you may try Nice To Recover Data For Mac, which is recommended by many people.I find many guides in detail there.
    Hope it can help u. Good luck.

4. Hansr macrumors 6502a