Bootable Disc Image - HELP!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by trickytree1974, Dec 10, 2007.

1. trickytree1974 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I have an old iMac with just a CD drive in it, but I want to upgrade it to Tiger so I can use my iPod touch with it (minimum requirement apparently).

So, I have made a disc image of my Tiger DVD, copied it to a Firewire external drive, mounted it on my iMac, but first thing it needs to do is restart, but obviously it looks for the disc in the drive, which it isn't because it's just a disc image.

So, my question is, can you make a bootable disc image, or can anyone see another way of getting Tiger onto it??

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You need to use disk utility to restore the image to a partition on the drive: you cannot boot from a dmg.

3. trickytree1974 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that, but I am using Disk Utility, it opens fine, I double click install, and it says I must restart (because then it goes looking for the dvd in the drive, as if i were installing from a dvd).

Hope that makes sense!!

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I don't think you understand me. You need to use the restore facility in Disk Utility to restore the image to the external drive. This is not the same as double clicking on the DMG: this just mounts the DMG in the current OS. Once restored the external drive should have the contents of the DMG on it, not just a .dmg file.

5. trickytree1974 thread starter macrumors newbie

You're right, I didn't understand ...

Thanks for that, I'll give it a blast in a minute and get back to ya!!

Thanks!!

6. trickytree1974 thread starter macrumors newbie

No it didnt work - it said that it "cannot be installed from this disk, use the apple installation disk" (or the equivalent).

Would it be because there are other files on the external drive, so it doesnt see it as an installation disk??
    :confused:

7. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I use Carbon Copy Cloner to copy my Leopard DVD onto a partition of a 2.5" firewire drive, then option-boot to select the drive. Will you iMac support that?

8. trickytree1974 thread starter macrumors newbie

I had another idea - see what you think ...

I have a Mac Pro at work, I could connect the iMac via the firewire cable and boot that up in target mode, then install it onto it via the Mac Pro??

I don't know if that would see it as a bootable system or not - I'll try it in the morning and let you know.

Thanks for you help tho!!

9. trickytree1974 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, for anyone who's interested, I connected it to the Mac Pro but it wouldn't let me use my non-intel version of the Tiger DVD, so i connected the iMac via Firewire to an old G4, booted it in Target mode and installed in via the G4.